Blinking and Stopping Halogen Light Problem. Help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a newly decorated flat and has up until yesterday not experienced any problems with the electrics. Then yesterday the ceiling halogen lights started misbehaving in the 1st floor bedroom. When I turn on the light switch 4 of the 6 lights come on just fine. Of the remaining 2 one is now blinking at an interval of around 2 per second. This is continuous until I turn off the light switch. The remaining light stays on for around 5 seconds after which it turns off completely. I am not very experienced with electrics but understand from the previous owner (developer) that the ceiling lights have been installed with 1 transformer per 2 halogen lights. I have not checked whether the 2 are feeding from the same transformer but I would say this is very likely. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated....

Sponsored Links
Determine whether the two lights are on the same transformer, by removing the light fittings and examining the wiring arrangement. If necessary disconnect the transformer to see if the lights affected go out.

Then try a new transformer, ensuring you have the correct rating - does the total number of watts connected to the transformer not exceed the rating of the transformer? Ie if you have 2 50W lamps, is the transformer rated at at least 100VA?

If not, that will be a problem.

Thank you Securespark. I will check out the transformer tonight.

I forgot to mention that I am having some work done in the room at the moment. It is carpentry so shouldn't affect the lights. I am however concerned about the lighting problems happening at the same time. The builder doesn't feel he has done anything wrong, so my question is what would normally cause a transformer to act up like this? could the vibration (hammering, sawing) cause something like this or perhaps the use of power tools through the (unrelated) power sockets in the room? Maybe it is all just a weird coincidence.

Only the day before I lost 2 ceiling lights in a different room the builder was working on. The assumption is that this is also a transformer which has gone. Again a very strange coincidence and something which is obviously worrying. Both rooms still have other ceiling lights working fine but I am now expecting these to experience similar problems in the near future.

perhaps dodgy transformers?

Sponsored Links
It is likely to be an unfortunate coincidence, although excess vibration will cause damage to lamps, I think if this vibration could damage a transformer, the dodgy Tx would be the last of your concerns.

As I have said on many occasions, Electronic transformers are rubbish, especially if worked at more than 80% full load, the best type are toroidal (wire wound), these will operate faithfully for many,many years and likely outlive the house..or at least your occupation of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back