Blistered flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem. We have a flat roof on our kitchen, the ceiling above the back door has dropped, so the door is now (just) scraping the ceiling. However there is no sign of damp (no marks or wetness etc). We have been in the house 10 month and you can see that this section of the ceiling has had a hole in it and filled.

The flat roof above this ceiling doesnt seem to have any holes but it does have large blisters and I suspect the water will not run off the roof properly because of this, also the outside corner may have come away slightly from the side of the roof.

Does anyone have any advice, can it be anything other than damp coming in through the flat roof? Will I be able to repair the roof, will I be able to cover it with the rubber roofing now availiable, or do I have to pay for someone to renew the whole roof?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There's plenty of roofing materials such bitumen & ruberoil for repairs, you really to need to know if it's leaking by having a good look at the roof. The ceiling dropping can happen when the nails is driven too hard into the ceiling joists therefore shattered the backing of the plasterboard for it to drop. Although you may have a very tiny leak so it dried out in time for you see any water marks on the ceiling. The life of the felted roof starts to wear & tear after 10 yrs.

If water has been getting in over time, then part of the decking or joists may well have softened and rotted.

You cant just cover it, the felt will have to come off, and the deck checked.

If the fall is not sufficient, then a new deck should be laid to fall and then recovered.

If there is little or no insulation in the roof, then condensation may cause the plasterboard to drop

You would normally see damp or softening of the plasterboard if there was a leak. If the ceiling has to be renewed anyway, then rip it down and have a look at the roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back