Block and beam direction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was always fixed on laying beams along the 5.8m length.. however, that just seems like trouble. The supplier says they're about 250kg each, and will be awkward to get in.

So two options. Which is easier????

1. Lay them the other way, at 3.8 metre lengths, and cut pocket holes into the existing house brick wall. Seems like I need to be accurate with my cuts to get level. If they weren't level, what can you pack underneath them in the pocket? Slate?

2. Lay them the long way, but create a dwarf/sleeper wall half way, and lay 3 metre lengths. Probably easier to get this level with the sides.

My soil is clay, and the load bearing foundations are 1m deep. How deep would the foundation for the dwarf wall need to be from experience?

It's a single story extension, so no load on the floor other than one partition for the bathroom.

Attachments

• BeamSleeper.jpg
    BeamSleeper.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 30
Sponsored Links
Six of one... etc. If you cut pockets you can level with slate or a thin bed of mortar. Foundation would be 400 wide but needs to be deep enough to find stable ground. It could be a tad less than 900mm, not being exposed to frost, but you still need deep enough to avoid drying out.

If it were me I would cut pockets. Big long floor beams like that are bar stewards to manage.

Thanks. After weighing it up over lunch, I came to the same conclusion.....

Digging foundations means,...more digging. By hand this time. I'm not getting a digger in again. Wheeling it around to my skip, which is full, so I'll need another, more concrete, more block and bricks..... Sounds quite laborious....

You're right, cutting pockets seems the easier solution. Quicker, cheaper, easier.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back