Block and Beam Flooring to New Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we got planning permission to remove our large conservatory and replace it with a solid extension, the old conservatory was a screed floor with no insulation, so we had to rip it out. we are now thinking of putting a block/beam floor in instead of a slab floor.. the only thing on my mind is we are having a 215mm solid block wall being built instead of a brick/block cavity wall. how would i got about bearing the end of the beams, would i just notch out openings in the blocks, or better to built a sleeper wall right up next to the solid wall to rest the beams on.
another thing i wanted to know is, you need 150mm gap below the bottom of the beam for air circulation, the beam itself is 150mm, and then i will need say 75mm insulation + 50mm screed and 22mm timber flooring + 3mm underlay. am i right in thinking i will need to excavate -450mm from the current ffl of the house.
also i read somewhere that the 150mm gap below the block and beams has to have a kind of concrete base???

thanks in advance for any replies

hamazz

Sponsored Links
were planning a further extension in a year or 2, and want the void underneath for service's, cabling piping etc, thats why were not going for a slab

hamazz

Sponsored Links
If you go with beam-and-block, don't support it off a separate sleeper wall, unless that wall is built directly off the foundation. It's usually better to support the floor off the main wall itself. Why go with a solid wall and not a cavity wall?

If you go with beam-and-block, don't support it off a separate sleeper wall, unless that wall is built directly off the foundation. It's usually better to support the floor off the main wall itself. Why go with a solid wall and not a cavity wall?

sleeper wall was going to be built on the foundation right up next to the wall block, as it is a big block 215mm wide, thought it might be better to build up another sleeper wall next to it to sit the beams on rather than cut pockets out in main block wall.

solid wall mainly because its quicker i believe and more SOLID, and im going for celcon solar grade blocks so get the same thermal levels, and this wall will be a party wall astride the boundary line.

what other options are there for running service, other than in the joists in the ceiling or chasing the walls??

hamazz

water hot/cold, central heating, waste possibly, another feed for seperate UFH zone, electrics etc.

i know you can run in screed ducts, but not sure about them.

hamazz

You can just have a service void fitted in the floor.

Are you thinking if you B/B you can get it all through the void underneath? Unless your void is big enough to crawl in that won't be any good.

Or just get your contractors to provide tails for the various services that can be extended onto.

someone mentioned that the foundation depth required was 1.2m, i could pour 985mm concrete, then use like a celcon foundation block that is 215mm high and 300mm wide, i could then sit the concrete beam off this?

would this be a good idea, would also save a bit on concrete costs i guess

hamazz

Just insulate under the slab

Kingspan-K3.jpg

and stick this in the screed

s_111.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back