Constructing stud wall on block & beam floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way to construct a ground floor stud wall on block and beam that will have, insulation, UFH pipes and a 70mm screed on top? If i fix the sole plate to the block & beam, there will then be 100/150mm of insulation plus a 70mm screed on top. How do you prevent screed from filing between the stud cavity?

All other ground floor are block built walls, this is a 90 degree stud wall within a room.

Sponsored Links
Normally lay a sheet of thin polythene on the block and beam draped up the walls and held in place with timber battens to prevent the screed running through. Also, use a drier mix

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, that sounds a nice easy fix. Sometimes you over think the simple things :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I thought of this at first but I didnt know if it was bad practise to screw a sole plate to a 70mm screed with pipes under just to prevent any holes being drilled to weaken it. Ill know where the pipes are if i pre measure and they'll be 100mm away each side anyways.

Perfectly OK to fix to the screed. Just watch out you don't hit any services. It shouldn"t weaken the screed

I thought of this at first but I didnt know if it was bad practise to screw a sole plate to a 70mm screed with pipes under just to prevent any holes being drilled to weaken it. Ill know where the pipes are if i pre measure and they'll be 100mm away each side anyways.
You are not trying to screw it down, its not going anywhere. The top is fixed and once the boards are on its just one big mass of wall, so all it needs is a few spikes to stop it moving sideways, something just the length of a brown plug will do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back