Block Down stairs loo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
My down stairs loo and sink have become block. When I flush the loo it fills up and then slowly drains away. When i turn the tap on the water in the loo starts to gurgle. I've removed the box piping and found a vertical stack which has an end cap on. I've removed this cap expecting to find a big lump of crap but was surprised to find it all clear. :?:

After scratching my head for a bit i've discovered that there is an air lock and if i remove the cap the system is therefore pressure equalised and all is well.

I see i can get a dergo valve to solve the problem but what is really confusing me is how come this is only just starting to happen and will my bathroom smell of crap no it's ventilated?

your advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
this suggests that there is a blockage in your system?

but then you say there is a dergo valve, this is called a anti air lock valve that stops foul odours entering your home ( a good idea really)

normally if you take the cap off it does clear because air can clear blockages.

if there is foul odours entering then your system is back venting because there might be an elephants foot at the bottom which is missing a rubber cap.

an elephants foot is a plate which looks like an elephants foot with caps on them

I don't have a dergo valve installed at the minute. At present i have a blank end cap which doesn't have any ventilation. If i remove this then everything drains and flushes away as normall. If I put the unventilated end cap back into position then the same problem happens.

I know if a buy a dergo valve then I'm sorted but what i really want to know is why it's starting to happening now and never before.

Sponsored Links
that a stub stack you have it don't need to vent their.
for that to happen sounds like a block further down the line.
check your outside drains.
do you have a toilet upstairs with a full soil stack to the roof line ?

Yeah I hevea toilet upstairs but it's not plumbed in as I'm busy tiling. It has a full height stack but I'm not sure if it penetrates through the roof (I'm at work at the minute). I've checked the bath and the sink in the bathroom up stairs and they seem to drain away fine.

I thought about the blockage further down the line so I let my tap run for a good while and nothing backed up. If it is a blockage then it must be a long way along the line. If this is happening to me would it also happen to the neighbours?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back