Block paving disaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need advice !

Just had my driveway block paved and am somewhat disatisfied with the quality if the work. I think there are two areas where the work is not up to standard.

1. The excavation and laying of the sub base occured whilst I was away from home, so I did not see exactly how much was ecavated and laid. However my inspection of the site suggested to me that it was less than adequate. I was expecting 100mm excavation and sub base, but it was clear that in some if not all areas, there was nowhere near this depth.

2. Edge courses have been layed on the bedding sand and simply haunched with a small amount of sand cement mixture. I was expecting a concrete base and concrete haunching.

There are other minor defects, but the above two are my main concern.

My problem now is what should I do about it?

I have paid the builder (probably a mistake) and he has given me a 5 year guarantee against defective workmanship (probably not worth the paper its written on).

I didn't have any detailed specification from the builder so do I have any comeback in respect of his methods? I know there is BS7533 which lays down certain standards, but does a builder have to abide by these standards and are they legally enforcable.

If it came to the worst case and I had to take him to court, can he just turn round and maybe say I didn't specify 100mm depth, or i didn't specify concrete based edgings.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You paid him for laying an area of block paving to sufficient standards. He hasn't done this. This is his fault. You told him to do the above. You expected him to know how to do it, as it was a service he was offering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back