Block paving - reusing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have had a side extension built and a large number of block paving bricks were lifted to accommodate the new build. These are in a huge stack at the front of our house and the brick blocks seem in very good condition - they were lifted by hand.

During the build, we also removed a shrub area from the driveway (9m x 1.5m approx) and we plan to reuse the spare blocks for that area - giving us a large block only driveway area. The build is now complete and we just have the driveway to finish.

However, three separate tradesmen who quoted us for the driveway work consistently say that it's not worth reusing the bricks as by the time they've been cleaned, it would be cheaper and easier to buy new ones (around £700). This seems absurd and I just wondered whether this is normal practice. Surely guys doing block paving reuse blocks all the time when they just do a re-laying job on a drive that has sunk a little. I'd hate to pay £150 for a skip just to throw good bricks away, and to me they don't really need any cleaning.

Does anyone have experience of this or any advice?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
block paving has to be one of the most versatile and re-useable materials there is.

re-laying paviors is not a problem at all. a brush off is all they usually require.

the only thing to watch out for is, nib spacer locations vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. this may mean using one specific block should you fall short and need to make up the numbers with some new paviors.

with noseall on this one. if i take any up from a job, i always store them at my yard for re-use on patching in jobs. they always look a better match when weathered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back