Block paving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all !
I’m going to get block paving done as my drive way is horrible ! I want to do as much myself as I can as i enjoy the Graft and hopefully will save a few pounds ....: just looking for tips
First job I thought would be to smash and remove the old concrete ? Or could the concrete be used as hardcore ? Thanks in advance !

Attachments

• 62713092-955B-48AD-B4D0-716FCF6919D4.jpeg
    62713092-955B-48AD-B4D0-716FCF6919D4.jpeg
    525.4 KB · Views: 185
Sponsored Links
Hi Andy , yes I have but the costs seemed really high so I kind of put that idea off , I was going to block pave it and put some gates down the bottom end so I keep the long driveway :)

Sponsored Links
save a few pounds
Have you thought about a side extension
:LOL:I like your style!
But in seriousness, if the concrete is sound and you have enough vertical room, half an inch of sand and 40mm block pavers would do it. If you don't have the space, then smashing it out would be in order but hire a decent breaker. Grab lorry is cheaper than a skip.

Thanks mate , but wouldnt that leave the drive to high ? It would sit above the pavement if I went on top ? Plus I had to dig out for gas pipes down the middle so I’d have to fill that too , a builders 8 yard skip is £205 but think I’d need two so I’ll look at grab hire !

You can get a machine on hire to break up lumps of concrete into hardcore, not sure when it becomes economical and you'd still have to dispose of the subsoil somehow.

If the slab is around 4" think, you and lever it up, and break it with a pick head. Otherwise if thicker you will need a breaker, and not a kango, but a bigger heavy duty breaker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back