block pier and concrete floor slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Q1 I have on the drawing a 7n block pier between 2 bifold doors, the width is 440mm should i half a block and alternate courses to both inner and outer leaf or will stacking them on top be stronger.

Q2 when pouring the base slab is it better to pour rght up to outer skin below the door thresholds or maintain the 100mm cavity.

question detail.png

Attachments

• question detail.png
    question detail.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
You don't need to bond a one block pier. But its a very slender pier if its only one block thick, has it been designed and deemed adequate?

The slab should be independent unless its designed to be supported and reinforced

yes its been designed at a min of 300mm pier, the reasoning for the floor slab is i have saw clips on youtube of installation of bifolds and they all seem to be directly on to floor slab rather than inner brick leaf

Sponsored Links
Blocks should always be laid upright; stacking them flat reduces the compressive strength by approx 50%.

440mm seems a rather narrow pier between two sets of bifolds?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back