Block pier 440mm wide, full blocks stacked?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m building a pier that is 440mm wide, between a new garage door and the existing house.

Brick skin and aircrete skin, tied together.

Because of the width, and there are no corners / returns, I don’t actually need a bond as such on the blocks, I could just stack one on top of the other. The pier is only one floor so about 2.3m tall.

This seems a bit weird to me as a DIYer but surely I shouldn’t be adding cut blocks just to introduce a staggered bond, eg 150mm and 290mm pieces?

surely adding unnecessary cuts just makes it weaker?

Just checking this stacking doesn’t break any rules of bonding and all that.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
4486D75E-4C34-4AAA-BEEA-18B65FCCB4AE.jpeg

As a more or less stand alone pier, that is to resist the constant slammings of a garage door, Id say that needs to be a bonded brick pier or similar.

It’s not really a “garage” door, I’ve labelled it incorrectly, it’s a double side hung door. Sorry for that.

I’m going to build it to the drawings which show two leafs and cavity, so if I was doing that would you just stack blocks and no joins?

Sponsored Links
You're better off returning the reveals, and with ties every course that should be adequate.

I decided against that as I read better to use cavity closers so as not to cause thermal / damp bridge etc,

sorry to be cheeky but can we pretend the diagram doesn’t exist and my question is:

when building a 440mm wide wall, is stacking blocks ok or do you need some sort of added bond even though dimensionally the joins are not needed?

Well you should undecide against it. And it can't be unseen.

You don't need a thermal cavity barrier in a garage, just a vDPC. The main criteria would a a strong inner leaf, and a bonded reveal would satisfy that.

But if you are hell bent on a single block, then no you don't need to bond a single block as there is no point

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back