Stack Bond / Single block stack

Rom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know stretcher bond is the usual.

Lets suppose im narrowing an opening, using block. And lets suppose its perfectly 440mm. Using a wall starter to tie in.

Is there any difference laying the blocks stack bond vs cutting alternating courses to lay stretcher bond?

There wouldn't be a single vertical joint line to be weak with stack bond, as its just one block not rows of blocks which I understand would be weaker. In my head, I cant see the benefit of cutting to make a stretcher. Would be rendered, so not visible.

Hope that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
I know stretcher bond is the usual.

Lets suppose im narrowing an opening, using block. And lets suppose its perfectly 440mm. Using a wall starter to tie in.

Is there any difference laying the blocks stack bond vs cutting alternating courses to lay stretcher bond?

There wouldn't be a single vertical joint line to be weak with stack bond, as its just one block not rows of blocks which I understand would be weaker. In my head, I cant see the benefit of cutting to make a stretcher. Would be rendered, so not visible.

Hope that makes sense.
No problem. Just make sure you observe the intermittent tie wire placement at the jambs.

• Thanks
Reactions: Rom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back