Brick pier on 6 inch slab.. will it be ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive built a simple 2brick wide pier added to a wall using a wall starter kit. The pier is meant to add some strength to a single skin 100mm block 7metre long wall which is 2.5m high. The slab for this outbuilding is 6-7inches thick and not reinforced. There is hardcore under the slab and a 300mm deep trench filled with concrete supporting under the edge of the slab. My question is will that take the load of the pier?

Soil is clay if that helps.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Chances are it should be OK; remember that some of the weight of the pier will be transferred to the wall itself by the clips.

[My own garage has a 4" concrete slab; I jack up a rear wheel of my Defender 110 on a jack with a baseplate roughly 4" square. The pressure will be far greater than the pressure of 50 bricks over an area 4" x 18"; no problem with the concrete]

If be more concerned about wall starters doing jack to share loadings in a pier. That's a completely wrong use of them.

No load transfer to the wall and just vertical load on the slab. Bonded or suitable ties built in would at least load the wall and the slab.

Its a bit of a patchup job really. I should of put the pier in properly at the beginning but I guess its better than nothing. I'll try and upload a picture

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back