1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Brick pier on 6 inch slab.. will it be ok?

Discussion in 'Building' started by nuzuki, 6 Jul 2018.

1. nuzuki

nuzuki

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ive built a simple 2brick wide pier added to a wall using a wall starter kit. The pier is meant to add some strength to a single skin 100mm block 7metre long wall which is 2.5m high. The slab for this outbuilding is 6-7inches thick and not reinforced. There is hardcore under the slab and a 300mm deep trench filled with concrete supporting under the edge of the slab. My question is will that take the load of the pier?

Soil is clay if that helps.

Thanks

2. Sponsored Links
  3. tony1851

tony1851

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Chances are it should be OK; remember that some of the weight of the pier will be transferred to the wall itself by the clips.

[My own garage has a 4" concrete slab; I jack up a rear wheel of my Defender 110 on a jack with a baseplate roughly 4" square. The pressure will be far greater than the pressure of 50 bricks over an area 4" x 18"; no problem with the concrete]

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If be more concerned about wall starters doing jack to share loadings in a pier. That's a completely wrong use of them.

No load transfer to the wall and just vertical load on the slab. Bonded or suitable ties built in would at least load the wall and the slab.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. nuzuki

nuzuki

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Its a bit of a patchup job really. I should of put the pier in properly at the beginning but I guess its better than nothing. I'll try and upload a picture

6. KenGMac

KenGMac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    nuzuki, good evening.

You can consider drilling in "Helibar" wall ties?

these things will bind and allow some transfer of load?

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. nuzuki

nuzuki

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Ken. I'll have a look at them

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links