Block shed advice/opinions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have just extended my back garden :) made a big dent in my pocket :(

I have always wanted a block built shed/workshop. My plan is to clad it with shiplap so it looks nicer.
So i have laid out with scaffold planks roughly what i want. Its 15ftx8ft.

I have already lined people to lay the blocks and build the roof if i go for it, I'm basically looking for other peoples views and possible pitfalls i may not have thought of.

The 3 fence panels to the right of the pictures are the land i have just brought. I hope that makes sense.

Any how here are some pics whats your opinions?

E1C5111F-2DCE-48C8-AF4A-54AE14E1AC24-3231-000002FF8E994E22.jpg

E60A950A-47EB-4092-8DAF-444688F51DBC-3231-000002FF976CA5CF.jpg

0133A37C-33B5-4357-AA9E-15C447D6D8E0-3231-000002FF74F72033.jpg

Sponsored Links
It appears the land falls away quickly past the fence. If that is the case you may need deeper footings.

It will be quicker and easier to build a timber frame building and it has the advantage of being more water-tight and easy to add insulation.

But you clearly are keen to build a block structure and i say go for it. Who cares if timber is a bit easier every man should have the joy of building at least one structure from masonary.

Sponsored Links
I built my summerhouse/workshop out of 2nd hand precast concrete slabs and just bolt them together with 1/2 round loglap timber on the facing then do whatever you like inside. They are some companies that sell slight second precast slabs or sell them as a number of panels you need or plenty on ebay in sectional garages/sheds. It's cheaper and quicker to do, the hardest bit is the weight of them but I invested in a heavy duty sack barrow with the 45 degree angle similar to piccy then tilted into position, nuts/bolts together then force slide the sack barrow out. My photo summerhouse/workshop is in the garden sticky, got a bit carried away there :LOL: Good thing about using precast concrete you can go up to the boundary line as it's fireproof which is a non-combustible materials and saving money as bricklayers is not needed, I didn't put timber cladding behind and the bonus would be no treatments is needed.

sackbarrow.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back