Block wall upstairs, nothing downstairs!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Ive got a 1960 house with two bedrooms with builtin wardrobes with are in fact back to back alcoves in the partition wall. about 12' long. The wall is concrete block (what my dad would call breeze block -denser than thermalite but not modern engineering grade I'd guess) the wall spans the living room with no wall underneath. Its "double joisted" ie joists every 10 inches or so and build into a wooden sole plate. The plaster board ceiling appears to run though from one room to the other from what I can see from the loft so I'd guess its got a timber wall plate at the top as well. Ceiling joists are a standard 16" and theres no wiring in it.

Dead simple question - can I take the wall out and repalce it with timber stud and plasterboard and loose the daft built in waste of space-a-drobes?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can.

It was not uncommon for partition walls to be built from 3" masonry cinder block throughout the '60s and '70s. this would be built off a 3" sole plate.

If you have the opportunity to get rid of it, take it. Less deadweight on the undersized floor joists can only be a good thing.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back