Block Work Planter on Balcony?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here, but thanks for all the info I have gleaned over the years.

I am planing to install some planters and seating on my little balcony / terrace and then lay new decking. I want to build the planters and the front / base of the benches out of block (aggregate I guess) and the render them.

The balcony is just covered in sanded roofing felt with the current deck siting on that, with drainage in the front.

Can I just build the planters straight on the roof? and if so how do I allow room for drainage? I was thinking I could leave a space between the first row of blocks (kind of castled on the bottom) so water can drain through. Is that just stupid?

Any advice would help here! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
How is your balcony constructed? have you any idea how heavy block built rendered planters filled with wet compost will be?

Thanks for replying.

The balcony is part of the 2nd floor of the house, timber joists spaced at 450mm I think, in short sections between a steel beams and the party wall with the house next door. So the joists supporting the balcony are about 2120mm long, the balcony its self measures 2120mm x 2080mm. I am pretty sure it's all topped off with 22mm chipboard, a layer of ply, dpm, a couple layers of roofing felt, and then the current deck is sitting on 45mm x 45mm beams which in turn, are just sitting on the felt.

What I am thinking is a planter roughly 450mm x 550mm on either end of an L-shaped bench. We were wanting the face of the bench and planters to be rendered block, with the bench its self hollow for storage. We plan to make the top / seating part of the bench out of the 90mm x 22mm balau decking.

I wasn't really worried about weight, as my better half has some very heavy planters out there right now, I think it might actually weigh less with the block!

Thanks again, any help is appreciated.
cheers

Sponsored Links
I'll take your word for it weight wise but be warned!

Your other major problem is that timber decking or even the structural roof deck is a terrible base for masonary. Block work might crack as it moves destroying your hard work. A better bet might by loose laid systems which are stuck with adhesive such as these

http://www.bmfencing.co.uk/store/product_details.vc?productId=408&categoryId=80

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back