Blockboard to replace some floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Before getting new bedroom and hallway carpets replaced I need to replace some small areas where floorboards have been damaged by past work done under the floors. One is a short length of a single board, the other is a two-board width approx 130cm long (currently there is a piece of failing plywood here) which is outside three bedrooms so it does get a fair bit of traffic.

I happen to have some very sound blockboard doors taken from a 1970s built-in wardrobe which (providing they are the correct thickness, I will check this when I lift the floorboards) I was wondering if I could use for the job.

Any opinions on whether this would be OK or should I just go and buy new timber boards?
I'm not fussed about buying stuff, I just like to recycle where I can but only if it's suitable for the job.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
grannyannie, good evening.

Short answer is obtain suitably dimensioned timber flooring.

Appreciate the Re-Cycle aspect, but Blockboard is not in reality an option, simply not strong enough for the job.

Ken

OK, thanks. I wasn't sure, as blockboard is meant to be very strong for lengths like bookshelves, and the doors I have are feel really solid, but I guess they're not being walked on all the time!

Blockboard or Laminboard?
Blockboard is veneer glued either side of short lengths of timber - say 3 to 4 inches (75 to 100mm) long each piece of about 1 inch (25mm) wide, thickness determined by the finish thickness of the board.
Laminboard is veneer glued either side of long lengths of timber 6 to 8 feet (1.8 to 2.4mtr) long usually 3/4inch (20mm) wide and thickness determined by the final thickness of the material. It is much stronger than blockboard but expensive (and I've not seen any new sheets in many years).
So the Blockboard you have isn't suitable; Laminboard you may get away with but for regular use floor I'd still not recommend it. Go to wood yard and get a length of flooring and then cut it fit - you can always cut the tongues off for inset pieces.

Edit :- correct spelling mistakes and add metric measurements...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks wgt52 - that's confused me, as there seem to be different descriptions/names from what I've seen online, so I'll describe it.

The doors have a total thickness of 19mm. They are constructed from pieces of softwood which are each 13mm thick X 26mm wide and run the full length of the door, glued together and sandwiched between two 2mm thick perpendicular layers and covered lengthwise with a 1mm hardwood veneer.

They were made in the early 1970s, no gaps between pieces, and it practically took explosives to get the wardrobes out! Beautiful joinery work from whoever put them in - I felt quite guilty getting rid of them!

The doors have a total thickness of 19mm. They are constructed from pieces of softwood which are each 13mm thick X 26mm wide and run the full length of the door, glued together and sandwiched between two 2mm thick perpendicular layers and covered lengthwise with a 1mm hardwood veneer.
That's veneer faced 'Laminboard'

They were made in the early 1970s, no gaps between pieces, and it practically took explosives to get the wardrobes out! Beautiful joinery work from whoever put them in - I felt quite guilty getting rid of them!
You don't see material like that very often nowadays. Wardrobes probably made by an old time indentured joiner.

Last edited:
Thanks. And yes, all the joints were very nicely done, hand-cut double tenons on some of them, and care taken to do a job well done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back