Squeaky blockboard/chipboard floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had an extension built about 15 years ago. In the upstairs the builder used "blockboard/chipboard" floorboards. It creaked all over from day one!

He advised us that it would settle down and get better once we had carpeted it. It didn't, but as it is only used as a spare room we lived with it.

Now we want to replace the carpet. Whilst the carpet is up I would like to stop it creaking.

Any suggestions? I do not really want to lift it all as that would also mean removing the skirting and then it is becoming too big a job.

Sponsored Links
You could try screws and lots of them, check how it has been fixed and the distance between each nail, theres no restrictions with woodchip, which in my opinion should be outright banned from the building industry. It won't cost much or take much time but worth a try. If is still squeaks, you will have to remove it and replace with floorboards>> not too expensive really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back