Squeaky chipboard floorboards or just long joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice please o_O. This was a new floor built in an extension 8 years. We've only recently begun using the first floor as a livable room rather than a storeroom. I knew the floor was squeaky before we had it carpeted but I underestimated how much it would wind me up. The room below is our main living room and the creaking is so frustrating when someone is walking around in there. Could anyone advise on the following points?

Are the chipboards responsible for the noise?
Is the lack of staggering of the chipboards making it worse?
Are the joists (3.2m across) always going to creak because of their length?
Are there not enough cross joints/noggins between joists?
Anything else that might be contributing?

I'm willing to rip it all up and replace or even just adjust it, if anyone can give some good advice about how I could confidently resolve our issues.

Thanks!!!!

IMG_1443.JPG
IMG_1444.JPG
IMG-20151203-WA0016.jpg
IMG_20151203_143828.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would shorten the chipboard, centred over the joists, and screw down, starting with one section of boarding first going the length of the room.

Blup

Should have been staggered but not many screws there - I'd try additional screws every 100mm in the first instance. Use correct chipboard screws.

Thanks, my dad also said it needs more screws! Lol

So would you say the joists are alright as they are?

Sponsored Links
Joist length is not an issue, neither is noggins although 2 rows each spaced a third of the way across is what i would have done but you are within regs. The chipboard should have been staggered so the ends landed on different joists and glued and screwed using a PU adhesive which is the main reason you will get movement, therefore squeaking, in the floor. You can add more screws as a 1st step and see if it improves it before doing anything too invasive.

Great, thanks for the clear advice

Glad to hear it's not the joists. I would guess they didn't glue the boards if they didn't stagger them either.

I'll let you know how I get on with the screws.

Thanks again

ok my thoughts
is the problem worse by the window in picture 3 ?
why do i think this because the weight is transferred back rather than sideways over 2 overly long spaced joists to a third possibly 5 to 6 foot??[no joists side to side just noggins]to take a tripple or more load so would explain the problem
but just my thoughts ??

Last edited:
bigg-all, I haven't found this to be the case. The worst of it is down the centre of the room away from the walls - so just the middle really!

bigg-all, I haven't found this to be the case. The worst of it is down the centre of the room away from the walls - so just the middle really!
That's where you walk.

The one thing you should avoid doing on a chipboard floor.

I take it you're not a fan? So do you think proper wooden floorboards would solve all my problems?

Or ply.

Add struts (noggjns) under all unsupported joints and cut edges.

You can spend time and money trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but when you tire of that, a skip will solve the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back