Advice on preparing existing floor for carpeting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
We are getting our bedroom floor carpeted in the next month in our 30's house, and one of the things I wanted to do was to fix the squeeking and movement before the carpet gets put in. For some reason it is the only room that does not have floorboards but Chipboard. As I was going to lay network cables under the floor anyway, my plan was to pull up the chipboard, lay cables, put in noggins and then re-lay the chipboard flooring. Is this a good idea? I also have a few other questions...

Will noggins help with the movement of the floor??
Do the noggins have to be the same size as the joists, or can they be smaller. Should I screw them or will nails from a nailgun suffice?
I presume the chipboard is t&g. If it is, when relaying what is the best way to make sure that it is super solid and squeak free??

Thanks guys.

Nick

Sponsored Links
yep noggins will add stability to the floor, just bang them in with a nail gun, ideally they should be the same size, but you could drop them an inch in size if your thinking of your cable runs.
When relaying the chipboard, glue to the joists and also glue all joints, 4 screws across each board on every joist. I use caber D4 on both the joists and the joints. But if you're really concerned last year on a job it was speced and we used caber no squeak on the joists and caber T&G on the joints. The best screws are spax flooring screws, which have a secondary thread right up to the head.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back