Newly laid T&G chipboard floor just has to go

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Frustratingly today I've learnt I need to replace a newly laid subfloor due to incredible amount of squeaking. I mean every footstep ':eek:' !!!

We think we've identified the cause - an acoustic isolating rubber strip is allowing movement between the boards. We've tried no screws (completely floating floor) or adding more screws but the squeaking remains so our builder is resigned to lifting it all and starting over.

My Q is should we stick with the originally used 22mm P5 T&G or is Ply a better material. I'm told ply is less likely to squeak and adds strength which would be welcome. Our builder has always used P5 chipboard without any problems and so isn't too familiar with ply flooring.

btw, it's a first floor new extension. Joists and noggins have all been checked and are fine. Final finish will be carpet.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a reference for the "acoustic isolating rubber strip"? Is it staying or going?

T&G chipboard is the standard sub-floor in the UK. Ply sheets are laid in just the same way, only ply is less manageable and more expensive.

Sub-floors in timber framing, OSB or Ply, are glued and screwed down with a 3mm gap between T&G edges.

Drying out in new work will sometimes cause squeaks and creaks, esp after heating is turned on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back