Lifting flooring

I would probably use 3 or 4 but at the end of the day the screws are only really there to keep the two bits of chipboard together until the glue dries.

Sponsored Links
I would probably use 3 or 4 but at the end of the day the screws are only really there to keep the two bits of chipboard together until the glue dries.

Thanks.

Just one further question regarding the 'chipboard under the join of the existing/new flooring' method - is there a risk in doing this that the chipboard that sits underneath the existing (and new) flooring will squeak by rubbing against the existing/new flooring?

Thanks.

Just one further question regarding the 'chipboard under the join of the existing/new flooring' method - is there a risk in doing this that the chipboard that sits underneath the existing (and new) flooring will squeak by rubbing against the existing/new flooring?
It will only squeak if one moves against the other or the fixings, if you use nails, becomes slightly loose.

The object of the exercise is to bond the strip, using glue, to the old flooring and then when you lay the new to glue it also to the new to the strip.

Once glued the old and new become one floor. One should not be able to move against the other so no noise.

....think I'd stick with the softwood noggin! Chipboard is a bugger when it de-laminates, I would trust it at all by adding that flange to take any weight.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
If we went with the 100mm wide strips of chipboard glued to the bottom of the existing/new floor, then if the glue ever weakens / the two boards become loose at any point, would the existing/new chipboard on top of the 100mm chipboard then start squeaking? Or to put it another way, if glued correctly, how high a probability is it that the 100mm strip on the bottom ever becomes loose (and therefore becomes prone to squeaking)?

Can the join of the new flooring to the existing be done by leaving say a 2-5mm gap between the existing flooring and new flooring and filling this gap with e.g strong adhesive? Or is this a complete no-go (if so, why?).

....think I'd stick with the softwood noggin! Chipboard is a b*****r when it de-laminates, I would trust it at all by adding that flange to take any weight.

Nozzle
But you would trust the T & G around each sheet to take the same weight without the risk of it de-laminating which is just glued whereas the suggestion was to screw it as well?

Plus what weight is it actually taking, that is being born by the joists? The suggestion is just making certain the boards do not flex slightly between the joists.

If we went with the 100mm wide strips of chipboard glued to the bottom of the existing/new floor, then if the glue ever weakens / the two boards become loose at any point, would the existing/new chipboard on top of the 100mm chipboard then start squeaking? Or to put it another way, if glued correctly, how high a probability is it that the 100mm strip on the bottom ever becomes loose (and therefore becomes prone to squeaking)?
All what ifs. What ever is suggested you respond with a what if!!

It's a floor in a house. Why not lay one level of boards one way and then a second layer on top would that be strong enough to keep you happy?

Can the join of the new flooring to the existing be done by leaving say a 2-5mm gap between the existing flooring and new flooring and filling this gap with e.g strong adhesive? Or is this a complete no-go (if so, why?).
Join two small bit of board about 2ft square the way I suggested secure one and see then try to break the other away. Now take another couple and just glue them by the edges as you were asking. Pick one up hold it horizontal and are they still stuck together? Answer your question?

Rather than the join giving way I would be more concerned about the position of the holes through the joists for the plastic pipe. They seem towards the centre of the span and below halfway of the depth of the joist.

All what ifs. What ever is suggested you respond with a what if!!

I think that's my accountantancy background, I'm trained to think of worst case scenarios / potential problems. If I ask a stupid question its just my technical inexperience - I do always try and do as much research as possible before asking any questions, and will always continue to appreciate any advice given.

It's a floor in a house. Why not lay one level of boards one way and then a second layer on top would that be strong enough to keep you happy?

if my previous posts have indicated that I'm concerned primarily about the strength of the overall floor, then please accept my apologies. Strength is important (for obvious reasons!) but we've lived with squeaking floorboards for too long now and priority is to elimate 99% probability of any squeaking (whilst still ensuring the floor is structurally sound).

Join two small bit of board about 2ft square the way I suggested secure one and see then try to break the other away. Now take another couple and just glue them by the edges as you were asking. Pick one up hold it horizontal and are they still stuck together? Answer your question?

Yep, gotcha. So if doing this, then what are the steps to get the 100mm wide strips to be glued to the underside of the existing/new flooring?

1. Cut 100mm strips to fit in between joists.
2. Apply glue to 50mm of the strip and attach to underside of existing flooring
3. Leave to dry/bond for x(???) hours??
4. Apply glue to remaining 50mm of the 100mm strip and then lay new flooring, butted tight (?) against existing flooring?
5. Use any screws to further grip/bond the 100mm strip to the existing, or new, or both sheets of, flooring?

Yes - Not precision woodwork roughly 100mm so you get 50mm min under each

Yes -clamp in place ans then screw

Yes

4. Apply glue to remaining 50mm of the 100mm strip and then lay new flooring, butted tight (?) against existing flooring?

Yes - Close to edge of existing and screw

5. Use any screws to further grip/bond the 100mm strip to the existing, or new, or both sheets of, flooring?

As above

Now get on and do the actual job

Some hopefully final queries below in blue.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ok.

Ok. How far apart should the screws be on this section? The joists are separated at c. 350mm centres.

Yes
For how long should we leave to dry/bond before carrying out step 4?

How close should the new flooring be butted to edge of existing? Butted right against it or a gap of a couple of mm left?

As above
Another what if! I'm ok with screwing the existing flooring to the 100mm strip as the two can be clamped together which will prevent any dislodgement between the two when actually doing the screwing. However, if we then use screws to grip the 100mm strip to the new flooring, will the screw, when going through the new flooring and hitting the 100mm strip, break the bond between the 100mm strip and the new flooring?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now get on and do the actual job.

We're planning on doing this at the weekend so we're almost ready to go!

Ok.

Ok. How far apart should the screws be on this section? The joists are separated at c. 350mm centres.
3 or 4 they are only there to hold strip until glue dries

Yes
Read glue instructions

How close should the new flooring be butted to edge of existing? Butted right against it or a gap of a couple of mm left?
Whatever any gap you can fill

As above
Another what if! I'm ok with screwing the existing flooring to the 100mm strip as the two can be clamped together which will prevent any dislodgement between the two when actually doing the screwing. However, if we then use screws to grip the 100mm strip to the new flooring, will the screw, when going through the new flooring and hitting the 100mm strip, break the bond between the 100mm strip and the new flooring?
What and sheer the screws as well?

Thanks again for the reply. Please bear with me as I'm almost there! Some hopefully final (final!) queries in green.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ok.

3 or 4 screws between the joists? So at approx 100mm centres?

Yes
Read glue instructions

I'm asking this more from a 'squeaking' point of view. If the new flooring is butted right against the existing, does this increase the probability of squeaking between the existing and new flooring? Or is there no difference between (a) butting them right next to each other and (b) leaving a, say, 5mm gap?

As above
That's not what I'm asking. I know the screw will continue through the 100mm strip without sheering itself off. I'm asking whether it will break the glue bond between the two and e.g. leave an air gap of e.g. 2-5mm that when footfall crosses the flooring the two boards will squeak against each other.

Ok.

3 or 4 screws between the joists? So at approx 100mm centres?
3 screws at 79.581mm 4screws 56.318mm centres

Yes
Read glue instructions

I'm asking this more from a 'squeaking' point of view. If the new flooring is butted right against the existing, does this increase the probability of squeaking between the existing and new flooring? Or is there no difference between (a) butting them right next to each other and (b) leaving a, say, 5mm gap?
Squeaking is caused by movement, you have just glued and screwed them together.

As above
That's not what I'm asking. I know the screw will continue through the 100mm strip without sheering itself off. I'm asking whether it will break the glue bond between the two and e.g. leave an air gap of e.g. 2-5mm that when footfall crosses the flooring the two boards will squeak against each other.
Think about what you have just posted

On a separate note, for the flexi hoses in the picture below, we're hoping to either:-

Get rid of at least one of the flexi hoses shown in the attached;

OR

Replace one, or both, of them with a new flexi hose that doesn't have as wide a diameter and therefore doesn't take up as much of the cavity.

Flexi hoses are 100mm in diameter - is there a product that has a smaller diameter that would do a similar job?

Thoughts?

xpydqb.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back