Plywood on top of floorboards before carpet??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting some carpet fitted over floorboards as several builders have told me that they are not in good enough condition to be sanded and varnished. Anyhow some of the floorboards need to be nailed in and others replaced before the carpet is fitted as they have split. The latest builder has suggested putting a thin layer of plywood (I think he said plywood) on top of all the boards as he said this would make the carpet stay flat for longer. He said that if the carpet is layed down directly on top of the floorboards then after a year it will start to roll/bubble up/rise - I can't think of the right word but do you know what I mean? So the question is - should I get this done? He's quoting £250 for a bedroom, living room and hallway. I'd appreciate any help as I don't really know what I'm doing. Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
Probably meant hardboard? Very cheap at about £4 for an 8'x4' sheet.

as said he probably meant hardboard & not plywood.
Its cheap enough & you could do it yourself - £250 is mostly going on labour

It probably is worth getting done if your floorboards are quite uneven & maybe do it yourself. Hardboard is that brittlestuff like you usually find as a base of a cheap draw or back of a wardrobe, etc. - quite easy to cut.

IMO it is worth doing. Cheap carpet can go flat & you may have imprints coming through where there are rises, dips, etc. Do it yourself & the money you save put towards good underlay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back