Blocked chimney? Gas fire not drawing

Sponsored Links
Either you misunderstood the RGI, or he got it wrong. The rules for SF and gas are different. SF requires a vent fir a fire with a nominal OUTPUT of 5Kw+. A gas fire needs a vent for an INPUT of 7Kw+. (There are additional rules for DGF fires, and for very modern homes that have very little adventitious ventilation)

First RGI noticed that the vent was blocked up and told me that I would have to unblock it in his presence or he would be obliged to dob me in.

Second RGI looked it up to be sure and told me that the fire didn't need a vent, so we left the piece of hardboard in place. Those are the facts as I recall them, but thanks anyhow for the clarification.

I have two 5kw burners in two lounges. They are rated at 5kw for burning coal. I only burn wood in them so therfore the output is lower.

Mi's state that being under 5kw they do not need any ventilation.

In real life however, the rooms only need about 1.5kw to heat them, so, when they are lit the rooms get too warm!

So now we have to open the door to let the heat out! Therefore we have the biggest air vent in the room wide open.

The mi's will tell you if the appliance does or does not need ventilation. However, if it says the appliance does not normally need ventilation, but fails a spillage test, then ventilation will be required or flue lining etc.

It really is a job for a trained professional.

Thanks for that. We have a decent sized living room: about 6m by 4m by 2.5 high. Next door to the lounge there is a bedroom which has been converted from a garage, and because it has a flat roof which is inadequately insulated its a devil of a room to heat.

Our plan is to leave the door open between the two rooms and heat them both with our woodburner, and your post gives me hope that we can achieve this.

May
Next door to the lounge there is a bedroom....

Our plan is to leave the door open between the two rooms and heat them both with our woodburner,

My I respectfully suggest that you invest on CO alarms

Sponsored Links
May

My I respectfully suggest that you invest on CO alarms

Already done, thanks. We bought a new one prior to deciding for definite that we'll be getting a woodburner, and the builder who is fitting the stove has told us regulations demand that we have one fitted within, I think, 3 metres of the fire.

So we'll have one in this room and the other can go in the bedroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back