Blocked chimney? Gas fire not drawing

No he's not. Removing the air from a kitchen does not mean it is removed from a living room. Common sense or not.

Sponsored Links
I've already told you Bernard, if you don't want listen that's up to you. You've already been given more information than you know what to do with.
If you're just looking for another argument on the plumbing forum look elsewhere. I only do that on the GD.

Sponsored Links
the manufactures instructions will tell all regarding ventilation. have a look to check if you're unsure.

Will do. I mentioned the vent because I did ask the HETAS chap direct, but I'll check out the instruction manual too.

also in your first post you mentioned that you're in a modernish house, do you have a pre cast chimney? they can be bad for blocking easily, especially when fitted by a builder on a price

I've been told that the chimney flue is "clay pot" lined. Looking up the flue it appears to be several cylindrical sections placed on top of one another.

The requirement is for a vent for any SF appliance with a NOMINAL output of 5Kw.

I am not sure the salesman is correct. They are designed and rated at maximum output for the recommended fuel. In actual fact, the useful heat is lower than the nominal, as, unless it is hopper fed, it cannot run at max all the time.

On the first service of our inherited gas fire we were told that we needed to open the existing vent (which was already there, but which had been blocked off with a piece of hardboard by the previous owner). However, we used a different RGI for our second service and he told us that there was no such requirement because the output of the gas fire was less than 5kw. The reason why I asked was because this question of how much greater than 5kw the output might be did arise, but no, there was no discussion with the salesman of just how we might be able to achieve additional output for any length of time.

I don't suppose there would be any harm in having a closeable air vent, even if there's no legal requirement to have any vent at all?

I have two 5kw burners in two lounges. They are rated at 5kw for burning coal. I only burn wood in them so therfore the output is lower.

Mi's state that being under 5kw they do not need any ventilation.

In real life however, the rooms only need about 1.5kw to heat them, so, when they are lit the rooms get too warm!

So now we have to open the door to let the heat out! Therefore we have the biggest air vent in the room wide open.

The mi's will tell you if the appliance does or does not need ventilation. However, if it says the appliance does not normally need ventilation, but fails a spillage test, then ventilation will be required or flue lining etc.

It really is a job for a trained professional.

the fire is lit because it is a cold day, all windows and external doors are shut, only the flue is still open to the outside, so where does the equal amount [of air] enter the house, down the flue maybe ?

what if you leave the extractor fan on for a while in a house with no chimney and have the doors and windows closed, would you suffocate to death after all the oxygen has been sucked out the house? or perhaps the house would implode

what if you leave the extractor fan on for a while in a house with no chimney and have the doors and windows closed
After a while the pressure difference between inside and outside would be greater than that which the fan could over come and thus there would be no more air moved out by the fan.

#############################################
Bernard please stop giving what could be construed as gas advice.
You have been asked before.
Mod.
################################################

Last edited by a moderator:
After a while the pressure difference between inside and outside would be greater than that which the fan could over come and thus there would be no more air moved out by the fan

Not physically possible unless the whole house was hermetically sealed.
There will always be some air getting into a building somewhere, ergo that air will be removed by the extractor. Sorry to be pedantic.

Maybe the conversation should be changed to physics and how convection works and hot gases rise etc?

Not physically possible unless the whole house was hermetically sealed.

An architect in the USA commented that some ecologically designed houses had to be altered when the differential air pressure had a noticable effect on the opening of external doors.

A presidential candidate in USA commented that he was not a sexist, racist pig.

On the first service of our inherited gas fire we were told that we needed to open the existing vent (which was already there, but which had been blocked off with a piece of hardboard by the previous owner). However, we used a different RGI for our second service and he told us that there was no such requirement because the output of the gas fire was less than 5kw. The reason why I asked was because this question of how much greater than 5kw the output might be did arise, but no, there was no discussion with the salesman of just how we might be able to achieve additional output for any length of time.

I don't suppose there would be any harm in having a closeable air vent, even if there's no legal requirement to have any vent at all?

Either you misunderstood the RGI, or he got it wrong. The rules for SF and gas are different. SF requires a vent fir a fire with a nominal OUTPUT of 5Kw+. A gas fire needs a vent for an INPUT of 7Kw+. (There are additional rules for DGF fires, and for very modern homes that have very little adventitious ventilation)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back