Blocked chimney? Gas fire not drawing

Sponsored Links
Isn't reversing the flow ( or reducing the upward flow ) in the chimney the problem.

We cannot possibly determine that without being on site. That advice could lead the OP (or anyone reading this) to think it's ok to use the fire as long as the extractor fan is switched off. We don't know that!

The fire should remain switched off until the installation has been checked by a registered engineer and declared safe.

Thanks for the further replies.

Currently waiting for quotes to remove the gas fire and install a woodburning stove, and the fire will remain unused and unchecked until that process is complete and we decide what to do next.

Sponsored Links
One further question in advance of the woodburning stove installation.

The stove has a nominal output of 4.8 kw, but the salesperson told us that it can actually belt out up to 7 kw if fully loaded and burning like beggary.

Do we need a fixed air vent in the room? I was told by one HETAS engineer that we didn't.

so all the other scenarios are only 1% :confused: ,

Agreed my terminology was not the best. And 99% was the wrong figure.

the appropriate training regarding gas safety

and maybe I am wrong to think that common sense would be adequate for someone to realise that sucking air out of a house is going to reduce the air supply to a room sourced gas fire.

and maybe I am wrong to think that common sense would be adequate for someone to realise that sucking air out of a house is going to reduce the air supply to a room sourced gas fire.

The air that is being removed by an extractor fan is often being replaced by an equal amount so it has no effect on a flues ability to clear the products of combustion. However, there are installations where an extractor fan will adversely affect the flue.

is often being replaced by an equal amount so it has no effect on a flues ability

the fire is lit because it is a cold day, all windows and external doors are shut, only the flue is still open to the outside, so where does the equal amount [of air] enter the house, down the flue maybe ?

Spiders webs ARE a regular source of problems such as this. So are over powerful extractors. Wheñ a fireplace is fitted , serviced or repaired it us a requirement that any extractors, even in a different room, are turned on FULL, and adjoining doors left open, while a spillage test is conducted.

The stove has a nominal output of 4.8 kw, but the salesperson told us that it can actually belt out up to 7 kw if fully loaded and burning like beggary.

Do we need a fixed air vent in the room? I was told by one HETAS engineer that we didn't.

The requirement is for a vent for any SF appliance with a NOMINAL output of 5Kw.

I am not sure the salesman is correct. They are designed and rated at maximum output for the recommended fuel. In actual fact, the useful heat is lower than the nominal, as, unless it is hopper fed, it cannot run at max all the time.

the manufactures instructions will tell all regarding ventilation. have a look to check if you're unsure.

also in your first post you mentioned that you're in a modernish house, do you have a pre cast chimney? they can be bad for blocking easily, especially when fitted by a builder on a price

yes sort of right but other factors need to be considered especially when not seen in person.

edit still should not give gas advice when not qualified

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back