Blocked cold feed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've searched extensively and not found exactly what I want, so apologies if I'm repeating ...

I had an intermitent cold rad, so I drained the system, took the rad off and flushed it. Refitted and filled up, or so I thought. Heard an aweful noise from the pump so switched off. I have a new pump, but before I fit it, would I be right if I opened the upper valve I should get clear water from the F&E tank? No water, so I am assuming that the pump failed because of a blocked cold feed, and the cold rad because the pump was beginning to fail?

So, with the pump removed, can I poke up the cold feed pipe to try and unblock? Or is there another problem I haven't considered?

Sponsored Links
If you get no water from the tank, it is a pretty sure guess that your whole system needs thorough cleaning

I've searched extensively and not found exactly what I want, so apologies if I'm repeating ...

I had an intermitent cold rad, so I drained the system, took the rad off and flushed it. Refitted and filled up, or so I thought. Heard an aweful noise from the pump so switched off. I have a new pump, but before I fit it, would I be right if I opened the upper valve I should get clear water from the F&E tank? No water, so I am assuming that the pump failed because of a blocked cold feed, and the cold rad because the pump was beginning to fail?

So, with the pump removed, can I poke up the cold feed pipe to try and unblock? Or is there another problem I haven't considered?

If you poke about up the cold feed and succeed in unblocking it where do you think all the water is going to go from your f&e tank?

all over you & the upstairs probably.

I would say leave all connected, poke around the cold outlet in your tank after fitting a hose to a drainoff on one of your downstairs radiators.
Open the drainoff & drain all in your system, your f&e will still be full if it`s a blocked cold feed.

If you get it unblocked this way you will know because the water in your f&e tank will make a loud gurgling noise & the water level will drop.
Sometimes its possible to clear it by just lightly tapping where the cold supply meets your heating pipe ( use a hammer but go easy!!).

Sponsored Links
Well, JayneKelly, I would expect it to go into the bucket I will be holding as I stick a coathanger up through the open valve, and then I'll shut the valve.

In the meantime, the coathanger trick failed. Above the valve is a reducing T; up is 15mm to F&E, left is wide bore to a strange contraption I guess is an anti airlock device. I think the T is solid. If so, can it be cleaned, and with what or must it be replaced? (Lots of soldered joints).

Thanks for all replies to date and any in future.

The tee which is the cod feed is blocked, this needs taking out and replacing.

Tie up float to feed and expation tank. drain system, replace the tee, free ballcock (float), purge (bleed) air, now whats up plumber. ;)

it will be nicer work if you bale out the F&E before making the cut. then there will be less water gushing over you. You can also sponge out all the sludge from the F&E to prevent it going down into the system (you already have more than enough in there).

You can add Sentinel X400 or similar after you have reassembed the Tee and tested for leaks, it will soften the rest of the black sediment in the system so that you can drain it out after a couple of weeks. Be sure to include corrosion inhibitor when you return it to service or it will continue corroding.

Can you afford an extra £100? If so, search on "Magnaclean"

Sometimes the blockage is surprisingly soft, and this will shift it back up into the f/e tank where you can bale it out.
You can make the connector from a flexy tap hose and a 15 - 22mm adaptor, and a 22mm elbow, all Speedfit.
fe1.gif

jus chop it out and giv it a gud clean, it'll only take take a couple of hour at the most!

OK, so before I start,
(i) what is "A" called?
(ii) if "B" is blocked, will "A" also be blocked?
(assuming the image shows)
Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back