Blocked cold water feed to C/H system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The cold water feed to my open vent C/H system was partially blocked, but I managed to free it by pushing air through from the tank in the attic. Checking with a magnet I find that there is considerable sludge build up in the 22mm pipe that connects the T from the cold water feed to the C/H pump. I have been advised that this section of 22mm pipe should be cut out and replaced. Could I replace this pipe (i.e. from the T junction to the pump) with a flexible compression connection, or is there some reason why flexible connections should not be used so close to the pump? This would make future cleaning of sludge much easier.

Sponsored Links
Why not give the system a good chemical clean and fit a magnetic filter to get rid of the sludge rather than trying to bodge a workaround for removing sludge over and over again.

Eventually the sludge will kill your pump and/or boiler so a fix not would be much more economical.

Thanks for this. I have just added the cleaner, and will also fit a magnetic filter after it is flushed out tomorrow. Will then add Furnox MB1 or equivalent. Hopefully this will cure the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back