blocked drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My downstairs toilet has stunk since we bought our new build house 5 years ago. We used air freshener and don't use it often due to this.

The other day I was out in the garden and could smell Poo, so opened the inspection chamber. What I found was a blockage from one of the three outpipes. I went inside and found in was the from downstairs loo/sink. So off I went proding what I thought was a small blockage! 30 mins later the slug of toilet roll/poo/rankness was clear.

Brilliant I though, but its been a month and its started to smell again. So open it up and it seems to be blocked again. Now we have hardly used the toilet since and made sure we have double flushed/ran water for extra time. I now think that the other two house out pipes are going into the chamber and then backing up into the downstairs loo pip rather than go down the inspection chamber main exit shoot into the main drainage system.

How can I fix this? Is it likely to be under builder guarantee? is there a no return fixture I can put on the one pipe?

Sponsored Links
You should refer to your NHBC type contract if one came with the sale details. I would have thought it would.

However don't be surprised if they start by claiming its a user inflicted issue, so you may need to get a independent in to camera the system to id any construction issue if that is the fault.

good luck

5 year old (newbuild) probably the placcy pipe was thrown in by a Monkey aka Groundworker :idea:

Sponsored Links
Suspect pipe may be on a backfall, another shoddy drainage job on a new build, agree with Nige there. Get it surveyed as Andy suggests, but be prepared to have to dig the garden up to sort it out.....

sometimes you are covered on your buildings insurance.

i know i was at my last house. communal drain, couple of arsey neighbours wouldnt chip in to get it sorted. environmental health served notice and ended up doing it, they sent bills out for £600 to each property using that drain.

luckily as i said, i was insured, and they paid it. hopefully you rneighbours wont be as awkward. might be cheaper to get a policy in place first? ;)

Suspect pipe may be on a backfall, another shoddy drainage job on a new build, agree with Nige there. Get it surveyed as Andy suggests, but be prepared to have to dig the garden up to sort it out.....
It may have been adopted by your Sewerage Authority - as it serves other houses :idea: their website will give you a general idea as to what is theirs and your responsibility - you might be in for a free fix !

Dam you Nige!

Taking food out of my children's mouths.

Get it jetted and a camera survey!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Andy ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back