Toilet blockage question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just wondering if anyone could explain the following to me.

Our downstairs wall-hung toilet (see pic below) seemed to fill up quite high when flushed this morning. So I suspected blockage, got a coat hanger out but couldn't seem to find anything. So I removed the toilet bowl all together and took it outside for an inspection. Nothing found. I threw a few buckets of water into the bowl (still outside) and it seemed to empty perfectly normally. So I had a look at the 90-degree bend with a torch and put a coat hanger through it but there didn't seem to be anything there. I replaced the toilet and threw a few buckets of water (free from the water butt thankfully!) into it but it was again slow to drain. So I lifted the cover to the inspection chamber outside (see pics below) and asked my wife to flush the toilet and empty buckets of water into it while I stood outside looking at the flow rate in the chamber. Funnily enough, she said that the toilet was flushing normally (and looking at the chamber outside it didn't fill up or anything). I had a look at it for myself from inside the house and indeed, with the inspection chamber open, everything worked normally. I've since thrown a couple of buckets of water straight into the chamber and replaced the cover on it. The toilet seems to flush ok.

So my question is, why would having the chamber open/closed make a difference, and is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks.

full

full

full

Sponsored Links
It's possible there is/was a blockage/partial blockage further down the line. Opening the chamber will allow the trapped air to escape. It's possible you've cleared the blockage by chucking a couple of buckets down the chamber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back