Blocked Loo

Done that SpecialK. Yes, other outfall runs fine. I’ve been doing this for 4 days. Never been beaten with anything before, so not like me to give in but one for the professionals I think. I reckon it’s been blocked a while back.

Sponsored Links
And I’ve a theory. The first flush is always OK. And it’s only used occasionally in the night so nothing much goes down there. How many times do you go to the loo, flush, and that’s it - walk away. So, you never know any different. It’s only when I came to clean it that I flushed it multiple times and it backed up. So it probably wasn’t the few bits of paper I put down with my vinegar on, I reckon there’s been a blockage there for ages, I’ve just never known. What do you reckon? So, when they come to unblock, it will probably be from months / years ago.

In around 1982 this house underwent a full refurb, part of which involved new gutters, fall pipes and pipes down from the bathroom. The originals were cast iron, the replacements plastic. 15 years on from the refurb, our upstairs toilet began to fill up. There was a man hole close by in the ground, to which it obviously drained and opening that up, it was obvious there was a very slow but continuous flow into that. Tapping the pipe as it came down the wall, it was obvious from the sound, that it was full of liquid. Borrowing some drain rods and probing along from the man hole, I eventually dislodged what was obviously a piece of cast iron pipe, along with a flood of backed up sewage.

What obviously happened, was when the cast iron pipe was removed, whoever had broken it out and allowed some of it to drop down the pipe - 15 years before.

Wow, that’s an incredible story - that’s the same timescale as us re renovation ( pre our time tho). I’ve never thought about drains being permanently semi-blocked, but still appear to be working. Tbh, it is getting more use now than ever (just liquids). Being in the spare bedroom as I say, it’s rarely used except when we have a falling out!

Sponsored Links
Used to have the same in a large bungalow- the ensuite loo was always doing it. As you say, it's rarely used, so gets away with being under par. I had three manholes which went the length of property. Problem was where one waste pipe pushes into next. There's a rubber seal. This wasn't in properly but was dangling down the centre of the pipe, catching everything that came through (even my rods).

Hugh - I have booked.a Franchise, for Saturday, so time to cancel. I asked on our area FB page and no-one suggested anyone. I’m in North Norfolk. Obviously, they did have good reviews!

Fingers crossed then, but if they try and sell you any additional work, please come back and ask before agreeing to anything.

Thanks for tip Hugh. I’ll prepare to be firm. Changed car today, so it’s all been a bit hectic recently.

Had to rely on the professionals in the end and we were lucky I suppose. He tried plunging. Didn’t budge. Camera up. Then pressure hose. Said it was accumulated paper. Glad to know it wasn’t my half dozen cleaning tissues. I blame son from years ago.

Thanks all for you support and tips. First time beaten but content with the £108 and get on with life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back