Toilet backing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Toilet backs up to almost rim level when flushed, sits there for a short while and then flows away with a 'clonk' type noise. Particularly problematic in the morning after a night's-worth of loo paper and the occasional no.2 having sat in the pan all night. Not really an issue with just no.1s.

Any ideas?

I'd have thought if it was a blockage, a reduction in diameter of the outlet, then it wouldn't push through at all on it's own accord? On many occasion this is in fact the case, needing to 'plunger' a few times with the loo brush.

Could it in fact more likely be an air-blockage?

Thanks for any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Have you looked in the inspection chamber(s) to see if there is a blockage downstream in the sewer?

Have you looked in the inspection chamber(s) to see if there is a blockage downstream in the sewer?
Thanks for replying.
It's an upstairs, Ensuite loo. The shower also feeds into the same stack, I think above the loo waste. Also washing machine below that, as it passes through downstairs. I think if it was a sewer issue it'd be an awful lot stacking back.

Good advice and always the first place to have a look at regardless of what house owners think!

Sponsored Links
Check inspection chamber nearest house. If it's clear get someone to flush some toilet paper down the offending toilet and see how long it takes to come through. If only water comes through, (probably at a slow rate/trickle), then you have a blockage upstream. If the chamber has water in it then you have a blockage downstream. If the next chamber is off your property, (i.e. outside the boundary), I believe it is the responsibility of your water supplier or possibly local authority sewage dept.

Lifted the chamber cover and yes, soil waste is coming through ok. Had my wife flush it. She did say though that, even with just water and probably no more than two sheets, the water did rise slightly before flowing away.

We do have about 300mm of flexi-pipe from back of pan to the soil stack. Could this be the issue? The corrugations trapping the waste and building up over time? I assume if so, the solution would be to replace the pipe rather than try to rod it, via the pan, risking poking a hole through it?

As a side note, what is the large black plastic pipe, probably 6" dia, coming into the same chamber just below ground level (the waste outlet and channel is deeper at about half a metre down)? I thought is may be rainwater but, sticking a hosepipe into the guttering above, nothing came through it.

Last edited:
Is it a shared sewer? Second loo?
Don't think so. I did wonder if it was the drain-off for the rainwater but as I say, nothings coming through it when it rains. Or at least, when I stick the hosepipe in the roof gutter.

Attachments

• 20230730_105114.jpg
    20230730_105114.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230730_105121.jpg
    20230730_105121.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 43
How limescaley is the waste pipe coming out of the bottom of the pan? My previous rental flat had a prestigious scale build-up that continued round the bend that was causing quite the obstruction, went bonkers with descaler for a bit and huge chunks of scale literally dropped off the pipe, was fine after that.

How limescaley is the waste pipe coming out of the bottom of the pan? My previous rental flat had a prestigious scale build-up that continued round the bend that was causing quite the obstruction, went bonkers with descaler for a bit and huge chunks of scale literally dropped off the pipe, was fine after that.
This could quite possibly be it. I do use Killrock from time to time but yes, I know what you mean. I have had to get on my hands and knees in the past, at a different property, and literally chisel the stuff off and down and around the bend. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back