1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Blocked shower waste + awkward pipework

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by adamr7747, 20 Sep 2020.

1. adamr7747

adamr7747

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi All,

My shower waste keeps blocking & after more times than I can remember clearing temporarily with chemicals & prodding and poking with some very long plumbers snakes, I'd like to get to the bottom of it. I think this means exploring from the other end. The picture shows where the shower waste (the white one) attaches to the soil pipe. It's an awkward arrangement with solvent-weld joints. The top elbow is very close to the wall, so if I cut it off I don't think I'll be able to re-fit a new similar elbow. The bottom of the arrangement is also just about uphill, so ideally I'd like a different layout.
    pipes.jpg

Can anyone suggest any tips for how to take this all apart and reassemble?

Thanks a lot,
    Adam

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    cut and cap off the pipe - then using swept bends, like the grey pipe re do it going into a new strap boss. You do have enough out the wall to get another solvent fitting. By the look of it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dal5band

dal5band

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Looks like the pipe goes into the strap boss with a rubber bung gasket ? If so you should be able to pull it out and redo the run.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Madrab

Madrab

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What's it like inside? How many bends are in there, if any?

As @Nige F suggests, cut out and fit in swept bends where possible. Make sure there is enough fall on the run too as a lot of showers may not have a large flow of water to aid in self cleaning. Also employ a regular cleaning regime with boiling water.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. adamr7747

adamr7747

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks all, that's really helpful. I'll give it a go this weekend. (~5m straight run inside)

7. Hugh Jaleak

Hugh Jaleak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'd cut top bend off as tightly to the fitting as possible to leave maximum length of pipe available. (Be careful, as pipe may have become brittle from weathering, you want to cut it, not shatter it!) Carefully clean out waste run, advise eye/face protection, long sleeves and stout rubber gloves as a minimum, any chemical still present in the system will melt skin and tissue without a second thought.

Once you've got it clear, repair and add option for future cleaning access. I'd glue on a Tee, with the swept branch socket pointing downwards. Fit a access plug in the horizontal open end, giving you future access along the run internally, then rejoin to existing boss using bends as required.

8. Sponsored Links