Bathroom waste/soil stack awkward situation...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm re doing the soil stack on the back of my house. The bath/basin waste is in a very awkward corner just before it exits the house, under other pipes and with a t-piece touching the wall.

I wanted to replace everything externally as it all looks very old. But I can't see any way to replace this. So I was considering just leaving the external elbow on, and connecting my new pipes to that.

Some of the other 40mm pipes externally had cracks, and the solvent weld in this looks a bit weathered.

Any advice? Could I somehow do something to strengthen this elbow? Or maybe just lather silicon around it and the solvent weld joints?

Photos attached
20200623_113440.jpg
20200623_113505.jpg

Sponsored Links
Could you just renew from the sanitary ware (bath/basin)?

That elbow and joint looks ok but I'd look to paint it. ABS solvent weld is relatively UV stable but it does break down after a long time, painting it will protect it. Cut the straight pipe (fine toothed saw) just enough to connect a new straight coupler for the new pipe (sand the old pipe clean so the glue has something clean to grip onto)

Sponsored Links
Could you just renew from the sanitary ware (bath/basin)?

Thanks, I thought I couldn't do anything inside, but you gave me an idea. I thought I'd have to rip up all the floorboards to replace the bath waste, but I could pull it out from outside, and then feed the new pipe in from outside, it will be awkward, but might work. Then its just getting solvent weld on a T piece right against the wall.

So thanks for giving me the idea!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back