Blocked Toilet Drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The toilet has been removed as it has been backing up and leaking out of the sides of the pan connector

I have plunged the hole, put hot/soapy/bleachy water in there.. and I have used a wet vac to suck out the junk

The plunger/vac has pulled some junk, but the drain is still slow/blocked

The other drains (bath, vanity unit sink and kitchen are all fine

I have used some rods which i have stuck in the drain but the blockage appears to be at a bend 45 or 90 degrees) I am unable to get to...

I am planning to get the blower in the the toilet waste pipe. By do so but do i run the risk of just making things worse?

Are there any other options?

OP4Mu9a.jpg

Sponsored Links
Dig it up. It’s it’s blocked on such a short run before it joins the other then it must be knackered.

Dig it up and then what should I do?

I assume that I have to remove the two paving slabs by the (I) large soil stack and (II) cast iron gutter pipe?

Once done will there be an access point to clear the blockage?

The paving slabs mentioned have been impossible to remove, hence why i left them.. Also can the blower be used?

I presume the toilet pipe goes down through the floor. Also, the white pipe comes from the kitchen and bathroom ? The Iron soil pipe - does it have an upstairs toilet going into it.?

Sponsored Links
Dig it up and then what should I do?

I assume that I have to remove the two paving slabs by the (I) large soil stack and (II) cast iron gutter pipe?

Once done will there be an access point to clear the blockage?

The paving slabs mentioned have been impossible to remove, hence why i left them.. Also can the blower be used?

Replace the pipe.

It looks like you have seperate rain water and foul, something like this:
97A31730-0E8E-4E41-9712-69327D73CA13.jpeg

If you can’t unblock the toilet drain you will likely have to replace the bend at the bottom of your stack.

Stick that bar under the slab, put a brick under the centre of it then stamp on the other end. The slab will come up.

Have you got any manholes?

@Nige F yes, the toilet pipe goes down through the floor (and by feeling) it appears to quickly bend.

I have added some marking for clarity

(1) Toilet waste pipe

(2) Is the approx location of the toilet

(3) Bath /vanity waste

(4) kitchen sink/washing machine/dishwasher

(5) water from gutter

(6) soil stack cast iron vent

VMZJsM4.jpg

stop putin chemicals down the outlet, its dangerous.
an stop with the blower.

find an open the nearest man hole an observe whats dischargin into it , eg the WC,bathroom wastes, an that open kit waste/gulley.
is the black plastic pipe goin into the gulley a seperete bathroom waste pipe?
that gulley needs a grid/gratin cover.clean out the gulley trap - use a glove.

you might be able to rod back from the m/h.

lightly covered drainage pipes can be seen in your photo be careful you dont crack anythin. esp if you try an lever the fixed slabs up.
you could lightly remove soil to see what connects to what underground.

Replace the pipe.

It looks like you have seperate rain water and foul, something like this:
I do not believe so, but i will check tomorrow when i have better lighting conditions

Have you got any manholes?
Yes the manhole is approximately 10m away..

I plan to stick the rods in there and see if i get any joy. Due to the curve in the pipe my chances of success may not be so high..

stop putin chemicals down the outlet, its dangerous.
an stop with the blower.

I thought that these are safe chemical? Soap for lubrication and bleach to disinfect/minimise foul smells from coming up into the property

find an open the nearest man hole an observe whats dischargin into it , eg the WC,bathroom wastes, an that open kit waste/gulley.
is the black plastic pipe goin into the gulley a seperete bathroom waste pipe?
that gulley needs a grid/gratin cover.clean out the gulley trap - use a glove.

Interestingly, all the pipes are cast iron. This pipe collects the rain water from the gutter

Thanks for the advice, i'll give it a clean and i'll cover it..

lightly covered drainage pipes can be seen in your photo be careful you dont crack anythin. esp if you try an lever the fixed slabs up.
you could lightly remove soil to see what connects to what underground.
Thank for the tip.. This is one of my biggest concerns.

veedee, good evening.

This is an Insurance claim if you want to make one? Under the heading of damage to underground services?

Ken

ive just read the other posts above my first post.
so the first pipe on the right is a RWP but im talkin about the black pipe goin into the open gulley next to the white pvc pipe - whats that pipe drainin?

no matter how this problem is resolved you need to lift all the soil an slabs away to see clearly whats goin on in case of future problems.
two different drainage materials suggest previous work at that position.

lever the slabs up from the very right hand side an lightly tap your flat bar behind it to ease it away from the wall - looks likeits been stuck with silicon.

if you clear the site then post a photo of whats exposed.

The toilet has been removed as it has been backing up and leaking out of the sides of the pan connector

I have plunged the hole, put hot/soapy/bleachy water in there.. and I have used a wet vac to suck out the junk

The plunger/vac has pulled some junk, but the drain is still slow/blocked

Before any digging persist with the rods from the inside, a rod and 4" plunger should go round a drain bend no problem.

the OP's said in his first post that he couldnt get rods round the bend.
hes a DIY'er an forcin the rods the next thing you now an hes got a blockage an a stuck rod -
the light diggin will expose the drainage for more info for a possible long term fix not just clearin a blockage.

Long term it needs a mini inspection chamber on the junction with 1 & 3 on it.

I can’t help but think that theres going to be a bodge connecting pipe 5 into the clay under that slab.

Jobs been sorted :mrgreen:

My 10m rod with plunger attachment managed to clear the blockage via the manhole..

I ran some hot water from the kitchen and bathroom and just plunged for a good 15 mins.. Thanks for the help guys!

Long term it needs a mini inspection chamber on the junction with 1 & 3 on it.

I can’t help but think that theres going to be a bodge connecting pipe 5 into the clay under that slab.
Can an inspection chamber be added to the existing waste pipe or will will new waste pipe need to be installed in that section?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back