Blocked Valve, Cold Rad - is flushing the answer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 cold radiators (tall towel rails to be exact) which stubbornly refuse to heat up. I have an oil boiler and an F+E tank in the loft. The towel rails do not have TRVs, but have a lock-shield on each pipe instead.

I started by bleeding all the radiators in the house with no effect. I've tried closing off all the other radiators in the house, but I only achieved a whining central heating pump. I then took one of the cold radiators off and blasted it with a hosepipe to remove a small bit of sludge build-up, and it was at this point I realised that there is no flow through one of the lock-shield valves. I can open the bleed and the left-hand valve and warm water will eventually flow through into the radiator, but if I open the right-hand valve only the faintest few drops come out. I then tried attaching a hand-pump to the right-hand valve (thanks to a tip on here somewhere!) but after putting quite a bit of pressure in I wasn't able to clear any blockage. The pipes run under the tiled floor so I can't follow them to see which is the flow/return.

1. Do you think it is a blockage in the pipe or might it be an airlock?
2. Would draining the system and adding X400 (or similar) help, given that there is no flow going into/out of the radiator? Could I add it directly into the cold rad instead?
3. Is it worth paying out for a powerflush or is there anything else I could try first?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have a blocked pipe, I feel your pain.
Can it be re-piped easily?
Not really as it is underneath a fully-tiled bathroom floor. I am also puzzled that two towel rails are not working (despite being in separate bathrooms), and there is a third towel rail in the same room as one of the cold ones which does work fine...

You could try removing the valve ,check the valve itself is ok and examine the pipe ,obviously you need to drain out as much as possible first. Is pipework microbore ( small diameter ,8 / 10mm)?

Sponsored Links
You could try removing the valve ,check the valve itself is ok and examine the pipe ,obviously you need to drain out as much as possible first. Is pipework microbore ( small diameter ,8 / 10mm)?
The copper pipes running to the valve are 15mm diameter. I did consider removing the valve, but I was a bit concerned that I'd fix the blockage and be faced with a torrent of water! I suppose I should drain down the whole system if I'm going to try that...! What do you think about a chemical cleaner?

Chemical cleansers won't do much ,if anything ,without circulation.
Did these cold radiators ever work fully ?
Is your system sealed / pressurised or fed from an F&E tank ?

Chemical cleansers won't do much ,if anything ,without circulation.
Did these cold radiators ever work fully ?
Is your system sealed / pressurised or fed from an F&E tank ?
We've just moved into the property, but I distinctly remember the towel rail being hot (at least on the top half) during one of our visits. We've got an F&E tank in the loft. I haven't properly balanced the system yet, but I assumed that my problem is with the blockage, given that turning off all the other rads didn't work.

If no water comes through the valve ,either the valve is closed ,or blocked ,or the pipework is. Does the loft tank have a decent water level ?

If no water comes through the valve ,either the valve is closed ,or blocked ,or the pipework is. Does the loft tank have a decent water level ?
So the valve definitely opens - I can open/close it when the radiator is off and see the moving part, and closing it stops the few drops that build up. I went up to the loft last week and manually pushed the float down to make sure that there was plenty of water in there.

Find the cold feed where it connects to the system and see if a magnet attracts to the copper pipes in that area

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back