blocked waste pipe from washing machie to outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the pipe that takes the wastage from my washing machine outside appears to outside seems to be blocked I think! When I try to do a wash all the water comes back up and floods the kitchen. I have cleaned the part of the pipe that goes down but am unable to get to the horizontal part of the pipe that leads outside as it is underneath my units but I can see it. I would appreciate any help as I cant afford a plumber!

Sponsored Links
buy a waste pipe auger and run that through the pipe.
3mdraincleaner.jpg

It's probalbly fat,starch and undesolved powder.......You can try feeding a hosepipe up/down the line but unless the blockage is close i doubt it will shift it. You may have to remove a unit and demount the pipe if pushfit or cut into it and resolder once the blockage is done

Sponsored Links
If all mechanical clearing devices fail, and of course they can be pushed up both ends of the waste pipe - look outside, where the waste pipe (hopefully) runs into a drain gully. The chances are that the blockage will be on a bend, but you have to identify what sort of waste pipe you have. If your luck is in, the couplings will be compression type, with knurled collars turned by hand. Or, it could be of the push fit type, which, as the name suggests, can be pushed onto the waste pipe - warning - they can be really tight to engage and may require someone pushing against the pipe to steady it. Failing that, if your waste pipe is a solvent weld type, these aren't demountable and have to be cut into for access. Check out a site such as Screwfix to identify what sort you have......
In the interim period, the drain pipe from your washer will be a grey flexible plastic pipe and its possible to let this just hook over a sink....but make sure it doesn't fall on the floor!
Be lucky! John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back