Blocking airbricks temporarily

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I appreciate blocking airbricks is not recommended with suspended floor and I don't intend to block them permanently but is there a way / product that would allow me to block or seal them only temporarily and be able to easily unblock it?
We aim to add underfloor insulation hopefully next year but in the meantime was thinking if I can block airbricks only on cold days during winter to reduce the draught coming through the floor gaps and then unblock?
My train of thought is that this way I can improve the floor temperature and having this blocked only temporarily this won't cause any major issues due to lack of airflow, but happy to be put right is this doesn't make sense.

Sponsored Links
I appreciate blocking airbricks is not recommended with suspended floor and I don't intend to block them permanently but is there a way / product that would allow me to block or seal them only temporarily and be able to easily unblock it?
Sandbags?

When I was a kid, I remember that we had some air bricks blocked with a piece of slate and a house brick.
I think we had something between the slate and house so maybe it kept ventilation and blocked drafts like a hit and miss

I would have thought that one winter might not be an issue in normal conditions

It's a bizarre idea.

The spores that create rot can start germinating after 16 hours.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the valuable comments.
About the spores and germination after 16 hours I didn't hear that earlier so that's news to me. You learn new stuff all the time.

Dont block air bricks for a suspended floor.
You might forget to unblock them and eventually end up with a well insulated dripping with condensation and rotting joists floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back