Blocking existing kitchen door to garden with worktop. Permissions required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Victorian semi we are buying has extremely limited worktop space (just either side of the sink). Given the layout of the room the only way we can gain more space is by carrying the worktop to the left, which will cover the back door. We'd put some additional base and wall cabinets there too. We don't want to brick up the doorway, it would still look like the lovely wide period door that it is from the outside, but we'd put some sort of panelling on the inside (carefully thought out re damp/airflow etc) and add the cabinets/worktop in front of this. We don't want to brick it up and lose the door permanently for a number of reasons.

What sort of permissions, if any, would we need for this given it is not permanently blocked? There are French doors still providing access to the garden from the kitchen giving the requisite two points of egress.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I don’t see an issue?
My brother had a Victorian terrace with a rear kitchen door, but also a door to the side passage.
The kitchen had been a series of small sculleries etc. They covered the side door with the washing machine.

I would image that so long as you can’t be trapped in a doorless area of the kitchen by a chip pan fire you’d be ok?
My 50’s house had a kitchen back door which now leads to a utility room and then to a back door.
That (presumably ) passed planning several years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back