Am I allowed to brick up an outside door?

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by MattB83, 5 Aug 2021.

1. MattB83

MattB83

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Background: all the houses on our 1950's estate have had an added-on half-brick outhouse (long before we moved here 3 years ago). This outhouse was put on over the back door which is in our kitchen, but the outhouse itself only has a flimsy wooden door on it. As our back door isn't great (wooden and not very secure) I'd been looking into getting a new PVC for for the outhouse. However we have a French window which we use to get out onto the garden so literally have no need for the outhouse door - I can't see an occasion where we'd ever use it in fact.

Can we just brick up the door or would we need some permissions? A slight complication might be that our French window doesn't have any approvals - we bought the house with an indemnity policy to cover that. I wonder if that would affect my plans as we don't have an 'official' second door.

Any thoughts appreciated...

2. Nakajo

Nakajo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just carry on.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Our house had a a kitchen with a side window and rear door and the next room was the back end of our through lounge. The through lounge had patio doors. We put a wall up to make the through lounge two rooms and extended out the front to make the front room bigger. We then took the wall down between the kitchen and lounge, bricked up and replaced the rear door with a window and bricked up the side window to make a kitchen diner across the rear of the house. That was over 20 years ago. The only thing we got planning approval and building control with was the front extension.

5. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    id suggest checking with the wife first.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Sponsored Links
  7. MattB83

MattB83

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    LOL - my next post was going to be advice about changing locks