Blocking Facebook?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me how to block facebook please?

When my daughter or son use my PC to go on this s*ite my PC acts up terribly.
I want to be able to block it as they take no notice when I tell them not to and deny it was them when I find problems.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It's probably not facebook which is making the problems, it's more likely what they are installing or, already have installed on your PC that is causing the issue.

There are so many levels of blocking on a Windows PC it is a minefield and how far you have to go depends on how technically proficient the children are.

But, I will stress again, they are almost certainly right in thinking it's not facebook making the problems.

If you still want to block it, google for "net nanny" and phone some of those companies up.

The other way would be to make yourself an admin, restrict their user rights, use a firewall, hosts file to block facebook and system policy to stop them changing it back again, but it's very involved and complicated, which can be seen by just how many companies get it wrong and enable you to right click on "cmd.exe" and run it from "open file" dialogs, as one of many examples...

If you want it to stop going wrong, get a knowledgeable geek to reformat it and make you the admin account and the kids to have limited user only accounts. Make sure it is a geek you trust, because if you take it to a PC shop they will 9 times out of 10 root through all your files, copy down your credit card numbers, family photos, etc.

Oh and the admin (that's you!) shouldn't install anything except programs from companies like Microsoft they bought from the shop, not things they download from the internet (it's not strictly true, but if you don't know how to tell the difference, the only [fairly] safe way is to treat it as true).

Remember that a block using a password is best because the kids can Google same as you

This is the sort of block I am referring to with having a geek make you the admin and the kids limited user accounts. Of course they can just pull out the drive and run an NT password cracker on it but if they know how to do this sort of thing you probably know they do :)

Sponsored Links
What sort of problems? You need to double check what they are up to when on line; Facebook should not cause any problems at all, some of the links might though :LOL: ;)

Depending on what 'my PC acts up terribly' means, it sounds as if a scan with your security software might be in order.

dave

Thanks for the replies lads.

To clarify, after they have been onit the PC becomes very slow and often refuses to load some sites. I get around it by doing a restart and then logging on to the net again. Then everything seems to be ok.

I have Windows firewall running, with AVG Free 9.0 anti virus, and run Malawarebytes-anti malware, Spyware Terminator and CCleaner once a week. All are up to date and never report any problems.

Of course they can just pull out the drive and run an NT password cracker on it

Kids are 25 and 30 but haven't got the nouse to do something like this.

Once again, thanks for the replies and will look into 'net nanny' and also setting myself up as admin.

Cheers lads.

I would hope dave m would have an answer to this question, I'd think this is something he could answer better than me :D

Edit: Removed crazy, overkill, whiskey-talking solution.

Kids are 25 and 30 but haven't got the nouse to do something like this.

How computer savvy are they? Because it doesn't take much to Google to crack a 'forgotten' Admin Password.

If they are not clued up about Host Files, then that is an option to look at. What is your operating system?
You could edit the Host Files to include Facebook, depending upon which OS you have this may be of help:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5225562_edit-windows-hosts-file.html
In section 10, after the 127.0.0.1 localhost you should add

127.0.0.1 facebook.com
127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com

Then go to File -> Save and your edited Hosts will be saved.

Try to open Facebook , it should come straight back as 'Unable' or just go to your homepage.

Those instructions are for XP but to get to the Host Files in Vista or Win 7 just Google it.

We are going to a lot of effort to stop them using Facebook, but if you are not watching them then the problems with your computer could be from some other sites that they may be visiting.

Next time they have been on, update and run a quick scan with Malwarebytes and see if it finds anything. If it does, copy and paste the scan report on here so that we can see what is causing the problems.

dave

How computer savvy are they? Because it doesn't take much to Google to crack a 'forgotten' Admin Password.

No, but you have to know to look. Given most outsiders understanding of IT is either "genius"/"geek" or "normal", I'm very confident in saying if they knew how to do this, she would know.

No, but you have to know to look. Given most outsiders understanding of IT is either "genius"/"geek" or "normal", I'm very confident in saying if they knew how to do this, she would know.
Do you do that answer in English as well?

What router do you have? Most modern ones allow sites to be blocked and no googling will get them around any password you have put on it. Doesn't stop them doing a hard reset of course but then you'll be aware that they have done this.

same as above I have found my netgear router does the job of blocking certain sites which the kids use and i can block them at certain times which gets them to do their homework :D

Sorry for not getting back sooner.
I have to hold my hands up and say I forgot about this post. :oops: :oops:
Main reason was I told the kids that I could trace back and find if they had been on facebook even if they deleted the history. Seems to have worked because I haven't had any problems lately, touch wood. Dave, I will print out your reply and keep it safe from prying eyes so that if things do go awry again I will follow the instructions and block it properly.
Once again, I am sorry for not giving you feedback and thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Back