Blockwork Shed

Thanks Virgilns,

I have considered rendering but have no experience or even watched someone doing this.

Is it something a complete novice would be able to do or is it best not attempted by the novice? Unfortunately, cash is a bit tight and so I do not want to pay someone to render for me.

I'm a firm beleiver that ANYTHING can be completed by a complete novice...I was when I rendered mine. Second go was in my current house and walls are perfectly flat.

My brother and I built my father's workshop and when we measred the block work it was 5mm out from corner to corner, perfectly level and plumb. you'll be amazed at the tolerances many trades will accept then force onto the next trade who'll moan about the guy before whilst telling you that the jobs now harder and won;t be as good...

if you have time, you'll get as good a job as a pro can do or preferably better...will just take you a lot longer and have to ask a million questions (which this forum is for ;))

rendering like anything is easier when you know how...even if you've never done it before. Don't repare and it'll just fall off as fast as you put it on...as I found out i the first hour of trying :) Dad came round and said wet the walls and in the second hour it stayed on (and never blew)...so must have been ok. didn't help it was in the height of a hot summer (if you remember what hose were)

I screwed 10mm square bar vertically to the wall to rule off against as I found it really hard to get it flat by eye/hand. Unconventional but worked...then filled in the gap once I removed the bar. Left a faint line in the finish, but once painted hardly noticed...it was a workshop after all and only my second build, first by my self. Now I know how to make levels to work off, it's much easier :) youtube is the master to self teaching!!

if you work out what to do step by step, nothing is THAT difficult. When working with blocks it pays to keep them wet with a hose especially in summer or they suck the water out the mortar before it's dried and you don't get a decent strong joint.

When torching on felt it pays to wear trousers so you brother doesn't loose all his leg hair when the torch gets a bit close...these things you learn and remember.

remember...pros do this stuff all day, day in day out so know it like the back of their hand and yet still learn new tricks from time to time.

Nothing wrong with attempting anything for the first time...you'll just be doing lots of first time stuff...

with any project take a 'no faults forward' approach...it really works...i.e. if you build 3 levels of block and the 4th is a bit out, don't think 'oh that' ok, i'll cover that when I render or plaster it' as it'll just make the next step more difficult. fix the issue then move to the next step. this takes a little more time, but keeps life easier in the long run.

so make your base flat you'll find the walls go up easier...build plumb walls, with plumb and level 'holes' for the windows and doors, and you'll faff less getting he doors to fit (you know what...it's so much easier to make a square door frame for a square hole then to pack one out to fit a wonky door hole...easier to make a square door for a square door frame than one with a sloping side etc ;)) ...render it well, put a decent roof on it, and you'll have a building you can be proud of...and more than that, you'll pick up a LOAD of skills on the way as well...that way, when you come to fix something in your house, you'll have the confidence to do it yourself.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Virgilns,

I have considered rendering but have no experience or even watched someone doing this.

Is it something a complete novice would be able to do or is it best not attempted by the novice? Unfortunately, cash is a bit tight and so I do not want to pay someone to render for me.

I'm a firm beleiver that ANYTHING can be completed by a complete novice...I was when I rendered mine. Second go was in my current house and walls are perfectly flat.

My brother and I built my father's workshop and when we measred the block work it was 5mm out from corner to corner, perfectly level and plumb. you'll be amazed at the tolerances many trades will accept then force onto the next trade who'll moan about the guy before whilst telling you that the jobs now harder and won;t be as good...

if you have time, you'll get as good a job as a pro can do or preferably better...will just take you a lot longer and have to ask a million questions (which this forum is for ;))

rendering like anything is easier when you know how...even if you've never done it before. Don't repare and it'll just fall off as fast as you put it on...as I found out i the first hour of trying :) Dad came round and said wet the walls and in the second hour it stayed on (and never blew)...so must have been ok. didn't help it was in the height of a hot summer (if you remember what hose were)

I screwed 10mm square bar vertically to the wall to rule off against as I found it really hard to get it flat by eye/hand. Unconventional but worked...then filled in the gap once I removed the bar. Left a faint line in the finish, but once painted hardly noticed...it was a workshop after all and only my second build, first by my self. Now I know how to make levels to work off, it's much easier :) youtube is the master to self teaching!!

if you work out what to do step by step, nothing is THAT difficult. When working with blocks it pays to keep them wet with a hose especially in summer or they suck the water out the mortar before it's dried and you don't get a decent strong joint.

When torching on felt it pays to wear trousers so you brother doesn't loose all his leg hair when the torch gets a bit close...these things you learn and remember.

remember...pros do this stuff all day, day in day out so know it like the back of their hand and yet still learn new tricks from time to time.

Nothing wrong with attempting anything for the first time...you'll just be doing lots of first time stuff...

with any project take a 'no faults forward' approach...it really works...i.e. if you build 3 levels of block and the 4th is a bit out, don't think 'oh that' ok, i'll cover that when I render or plaster it' as it'll just make the next step more difficult. fix the issue then move to the next step. this takes a little more time, but keeps life easier in the long run.

so make your base flat you'll find the walls go up easier...build plumb walls, with plumb and level 'holes' for the windows and doors, and you'll faff less getting he doors to fit (you know what...it's so much easier to make a square door frame for a square hole then to pack one out to fit a wonky door hole...easier to make a square door for a square door frame than one with a sloping side etc ;)) ...render it well, put a decent roof on it, and you'll have a building you can be proud of...and more than that, you'll pick up a LOAD of skills on the way as well...that way, when you come to fix something in your house, you'll have the confidence to do it yourself.

Thanks for that, I've always fancied a bit of brain surgery myself but found the cost of the tool kit extortionate, anyone game for a labotomy??

Thanks for that, I've always fancied a bit of brain surgery myself but found the cost of the tool kit extortionate, anyone game for a labotomy??

came from the fact my Dad was a very very skilled engineer who had no money in the 70s and 80's so did everything himself and to a very high standard...so I've been brought up with the attitude that if you work out how t do something (or ask) and understand the process, rights, wrongs, pitfalls etc, you can pretty much do anything.

I'm sure you drive a car but aren't a professional driver...you can cook a meal but not a chef...

when you drive your car, you take a map rather than instinctively know where you are going and when you cook a meal you might follow a recipe...doesn't mean you can't drive or your dinner will taste rubbish ;)

I work with computers but don't have any issues with someone at home having a play with building one from scratch or fixing theirs...on the contrary...I say, fair play and go for it!

Actually I should probably add...MOST things can be completed by a complete novice if they have a decent practical aptitude, and willing to ask/learn and make mistakes.

To be fair, my mate is a complete novice but can't change a lightbulb, let alone plaster, lay blocks, torch on felt etc. etc...

came from the fact my Dad was a very very skilled engineer who had no money in the 70s and 80's so did everything himself and to a very high standard...so I've been brought up with the attitude that if you work out how t do something (or ask) and understand the process, rights, wrongs, pitfalls etc, you can pretty much do anything.

I'm sure you drive a car but aren't a professional driver...you can cook a meal but not a chef...

when you drive your car, you take a map rather than instinctively know where you are going and when you cook a meal you might follow a recipe...doesn't mean you can't drive or your dinner will taste rubbish ;)

I work with computers but don't have any issues with someone at home having a play with building one from scratch or fixing theirs...on the contrary...I say, fair play and go for it!

Actually I should probably add...MOST things can be completed by a complete novice if they have a decent practical aptitude, and willing to ask/learn and make mistakes.

To be fair, my mate is a complete novice but can't change a lightbulb, let alone plaster, lay blocks, torch on felt etc. etc...

I agree with you up to a point, when it comes to electrics and gas "KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS" I have worked with a sparky in the past, I did all the donkey work, then I assisted in the 1st fix I ended up doing the whole lot, the only thing I never did was fit a consumer unit, my mate was always there! I would never dream of doing a rewire for a paying customer, I have seen what some builders and DIYers are capable of! People have died as a result!

http://www.esc.org.uk/public/guides-and-advice/leaflets/how-safe-is-your-home/

70 killed and 350,000 injured.

Sponsored Links
I agree with you up to a point, when it comes to electrics and gas "KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS" http://www.esc.org.uk/public/guides-and-advice/leaflets/how-safe-is-your-home/

agreed...

My Sparc really liked my design of my Electrics layout ;) The good thing when you do it DIY is that you can often afford better kit or better over all solution and still keep the costs way under the 'get the pro in' approach.

Can the average DIYer afford his son or daughter, his wife partner or whatever being being electrocuted, that sounds expensive to me, how many are conversant with the current NECEIC regs? How many people will be killed this year by faulty installed electrics?

This is a sore point with me as I was nearly a statistic due to an idiotic kitchen fitter!

I agree with you up to a point, when it comes to electrics and gas "KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS" http://www.esc.org.uk/public/guides-and-advice/leaflets/how-safe-is-your-home/

agreed...

My Sparc really liked my design of my Electrics layout ;) The good thing when you do it DIY is that you can often afford better kit or better over all solution and still keep the costs way under the 'get the pro in' approach.

Going off at a slight tangent; the Russians really liked our design of the Concorde, see Paris Air Show 1973!

Before making this post I contacted B and Q to enquire whether their standard aerated concrete blocks are suitable for outdoor use.

Head office called me to confirm they are suitable and painting with masonry paint will be sufficient!

So many different opinions on this subject..........

This is a sore point with me as I was nearly a statistic due to an idiotic kitchen fitter!

I became a statistic of one sort in 1976, aged 3 whern I touched an exposed live wire in a vasccum cleaner...6 weeks in a burns unit and 6 weeks as a daily outpatient ( in the days when my Mum didn't drive, so Dad was working and acting as taxi driver) and ended up losing the end of my right ring finger, very bent little finger and big scar on left hand.

I now want to understand my surroundings/utilities fully and want to keep my family safe from bodgers...DIY or proffessional...pretty much everything I do is over engineered with advice taken from reference material and experts. When there's three experts givign three different answers, I make my mid up and take the once that makes sense to me or a combination of them, but ultimately it's my responsibility to ensure my family is safe...whether that's ensuring the professional I hire is up to the job, or that the wirign i replace is rated properly and routed safely...

Back to the OP's question...

Before making this post I contacted B and Q to enquire whether their standard aerated concrete blocks are suitable for outdoor use.

Head office called me to confirm they are suitable and painting with masonry paint will be sufficient!

So many different opinions on this subject..........

yep...you can paint it, but will take a few coats to cover it fully. Blocks, especialyl the softer ones often have corners broken off, so the block work does nto look as pretty as brick work, even hen painted...render covers easier with paint (unless a P&D) can provide uselful tips on how to cover airated blockwork easily...and covers any block imperfections and means yo don't have to 'point' the blocks either...

Render will give a smoother more pleasing apearance and if not add value to your house, make it easier to sell as a nice 'quality' feature than a roughly built outbuilding...you might find that the extra time and money spent rendering isnlt 'that' much more than the time and money you'll spend pointing the blocks and painting them 27 times to get good coverage :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back