Thermalite & Concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Never come across this situation before but someone has asked me build a simple bungalow - 300mm cav construction - therms inside and high strength therms on the external skin.

The back wall will be then faced with a stonework face.

Thermalite have told him he can't use the high strength block for this application (ie; as a backing block).

He's asked me to build the rear elevation out of concrete blocks instead but still keeping the flank walls as thermalite - how would I build the corner? It doesn't seem right to me to come around a corner in thermalite & concrete blocks, i'm guessing they will move at very different rates causing cracking.....

Any thoughts anyone?

Sponsored Links
It's the initial shrinkage that's the problem and yes, the aac blockwork will shrink more than the dense block. Cracks will appear, but won't be structurally sgnificant. Tell him he'd have to just fill them in once the shrinkage has completed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back