Blown 3amp Fuse on Glow Worm Space Saver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

First of all pardon my lack of technical knowlege with regards to system parts.

Our central heating has been working fine and then all of a sudden the 3amp fuse in the switch next to the boiler blew. I changed it, switched ch back on and again it blew. And again. Some one mentioned pump may have gone but hard to tell because fuse blows within 1 sec of being turned on so cannot tell if turns. I've whacked it with a hammer and I've had the bleed thingy open and tried turning it manually at same time ch switched on. Fuse still blew. The pump did get jammed about 3 months ago but did not blow the fuse back then. I unjammed manually with screwdrive through the bleed valve and it has worked fine since. Should fuse have blown when it was jammed ?

I also disconnected the thermostat to see if this was faulty but fuse still blew.

Any ideas ?
Thanks
Duncan

Sponsored Links
if the pump is gone it wont have time to spin before blowing the fuse

change it

The pumpa at the moment is a Grundfors Type UPS 15-50x18 Class F MkII 240v.

Are these easy to pick up on a like for like basis. If its one in one out change then I can do. If pipe work is involved then I will struggle and will have to get a plumber out - although getting a plumber to turn up I think that will be the harder task as 3 plumbers in my area have now failed to turn up on 6 separate occassions without even a phonecall to let me know they're not coming.!! Unbelievable - but thats another topic for another day.

A Grunny 15/50 is a very common pump, you won't have any problems getting a like for like.

(on a side note please swap it for another Grundfos, and not a cheaper (or more expencive) alternative.)

You should be able to pick them up from your local B&Q, or Plumbers Merchant.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for help. I'll pick one up today and have ago tonight.

Fingers crossed I'm not asking how to stop water spurting everywhere tommorrow. I'll let you know how I get on.

Faulty transformer on boiler can also cause fuse to blow but this would cause it to blow on either HW or CH..

Its easy to see if pump is faulty!

Power it from a seperate mains plug with three amp fuse!

Or just disconnect it and see if fuse still blows.

Tony

I'll try disconnecting the pump just to make sure it is that.

Although I tried fitting the new pump last night. Closed isolation ALL valves and then with alot of force managed to star tunscrewing the pump. The isolatiuon valves must be that old that they didn't close properly and loads of water started pouring out. Run for bowls to catch water coming through ceiling in hallway!!

Did the pump back up and reopened valves. only have a little drip coming out now which I think is by luck than anything else. Only problem now is that I don't have any cold water coming through the taps and toilet upstairs as that isolation valve has now ceased up in the closed position. All the isolation valves are really hard to turn so don't want to mess them anymore incase they all give up.

Anyone know a plumber in Telford TF7 postcode that can sort out before I end up destroying the whole system ?

Although I tried fitting the new pump last night. Closed isolation ALL valves and then with alot of force managed to star tunscrewing the pump. The isolatiuon valves must be that old that they didn't close properly and loads of water started pouring out. Run for bowls to catch water coming through ceiling in hallway!!

Whilst a professional would have been prepared for that it just shows what complications can arise on a seemingly simple job!

Then there is the broken valve as well!

The poor plumber would have quoted about £70 plus parts for replacing he pump and will end up spending most of the day there!

For an experienced plumber there are ways of better managing the problems though.

Tony

There lies the problem - finding a plumber who turns up in. I only had a go at this myslef because plumbers have failed to turn up on numerous occassions.

Forgive me Tony if I don't have much sympathy for the "poor plumber" as you put it.

I've lost more than £500 in holiday and time off work due to plumbers failing to turn up as promised. It's about time the plumbing industry turned itself around.

I wouldn't mind if a plumber said he couldn't fit me in for another 7 days as long as they turned up when he said he would or at the very least has the "professional" courtesy to phone and let me know he couldn't make it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back