Blown Brick in DPC Area : Options to fix??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have read DIYNOT quite a bit but find myself in need of proper professional help.

I have blown bricks in the DPC area all round my Semi. You can see this in the pics and the damp its caused inside the house too. I have had damp injection done 2005 then again December 2011, this has not cured the issue which im now aware is the blown brickwork.

Wall construction in sold, the bricks are ~9" wide and interwoven width/end on in typical solid wall construction im told, above the DPC is rendered.

I have read quite a few posts from Google including a few on here, all seem to say either replace bricks or render.

Ive got a few questions

1. Can I render in this DPC area?? Would this short circuit the DPC?? Im thinking this is a no-no.

2. If I have the bricks replaced some are end on, if these are removed then this will cause quite a bit of damage inside the house causing the plaster to fall off ( its been done twice now don't really want to have it skimmed again), how are these end on bricks replaced/repaired?

3. I want to avoid it but will the internal wall need re-plastering or will it dry out??

Thanks for any help or other suggestions Ive overlooked View media item 52909 View media item 52910 View media item 52911

Sponsored Links
You can remove the bad bricks by either stitch drilling around the joints or use plugging chisel.
Cut about 100mm of the ends of the bricks going through the wall and replace.
It looks like the joints need raking out and repointing as well.
Dont bridge the dpc with render, you could give it a couple of coats of synthapruff.
Check the down pipe isnt leaking.

Thanks that makes sense. I measured the brick and its 9 1/4 inches by 3 and a bit, do you know where I could find an engineering brick of this size? Cant find anything online to look at.

Also when you say the joists, I cant see where they are, could you elaborate on their position.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Oh I see, thanks, my mistake read it wrong :)

Do you think all three courses need replacing?

I was going to do every other meter one day (effectively half the wall), then after its dried do the other 1 meter stretches, is this right? Dont want house to fall down...

Also can I install a DPM whilst im doing this?? That would mean removing the mortar further in or should I just get chemical DPC.

Thanks

I wouldn't go chopping the entire brickwork if I were you, the likelihood is that you won't get the courses right and then you'll be in trouble. Try it on an old garden wall first and see how difficult it is.

Ok I get what your saying, ill get a chemical DPC injected, would love the other stuff, I want it doing as good as it can realistically be done, then I can forget about it

im struggling with how much to do at a time though. I read that every other meter is OK but I think the three courses above the bottom two need doing, that's a lot of brick to take out??

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back