Rendering over damp bricks (below dpc)

There is no elephant in the room, if you never mention the elephant then its not there - if we have not been talking about render bridging DPC's then what have we been talking about? Such slippery dishonesty doesn't do you much credit. Shame on you.

Personal attacks against the man means responding to arguments by attacking the persons character not his argument. I am sorry if you lack the elementary education to understand such a common term - a phrase used before in these forums.
And for you to claim, actually shout, ignorance indicates either stupidity or, as above, dishonesty. Perhaps, in the panic of your being challenged, you get muddled?

For stupidity i have no remedy, for dishonesty only contempt.

"A little knowledge ... " Agreed, which is why using your "own ... old home" as an example to counter a commonly held remedial principle is a case of you shooting yourself in the foot.

Quote a single authority who agrees with your contention?

"Hard cases make poor law."

Sponsored Links
" ... is greatly overstated" - overstated you claim but not entirely impossible. So, will you now describe the conditions under which it will take place?

Given there are occasions where you see it taking place then all these homes you refer to are at some kind of risk, dont you agree?

Waterproofing agents, and S&C, are not mechanical barriers - hence, anyone who has ever patched or replaced a render (internal or external) will tell you the same.

You sound like a character who has got stuck with a computer & google and a walter mitty idea of himself as a building worker. Drop it. Be yourself. Go back to working in the chip shop ... mmmm ... familiar environment ... mmmm

It is a common detail in Scottish house design....there a millions of homes with rendered bases...they have no problems with bridging, capillary action etc.

Wonder why...keep digging.

You have not answered a single question.

You have not defended your position except to repeat your position - repetition is not an argument.

Anyone who understood remedial work or claimed knowledge of the building trade would have immediate technical answers available - where are yours?

There's nothing dishonorable in your working in a chipshop - what is dishonorable is slimy evasions of standing up for your claims. Be a man - defend yourself.

Sponsored Links
You dont have an answer for me do ya?

Your knowledge is limited and you know it.

I only asked you 1 question and you have no answer!

To deal in facts, rendered bases are an acceptable and accepted construction method specified by local authority's on re-furbishment and new build works.

Rendered bases if done properly do not fall off overnight nor wick damp or cause capillary action.

A facing brick base which has been eroded to a point where remedial replacement of damaged bricks would be unviable it is perfectly acceptable to reinstate the integrity of the base by applying a 2 coat render system.

Now you use terms like "yer" and "ya" - why, to appear more building site saavy? Or is it your version of a telephone tough guy? Actually, i think that you are very overexcited. A dangerous state to be in while you are knocking about checking millions of "render bases".

Why not check the bell casts, located just above the DPC, while you are at it?

The question you claim i have not answered, could you repeat it?

All my recent questions to you are lined up above.

"... do not fall off overnight" - where did that come from. Please explain where this quote derived from? Has it been your unfortunate experience - a kind of Freudian slip?

"... it is perfectly acceptable to reinstate the integrity of the base by applying a 2 coat render system." No its not. You would be accelerating the damage. The brickwork and beds are shot, how would covering up damage "reinstate the integrity of the base"?
It would certainly improve the appearance for a time while the now hidden damage continues.

BTW: what exactly are you talking about: bricks below the DPC, or the whole wall rendering?
Perhaps you would define "base rendering"?

BTW: what exactly are you talking about: bricks below the DPc

Im not here to educate a pedant on the finer points of construction terminology.

Answer my 1 question! you cant!!

I'm quite willing to answer this mystery question but what is it?

You keep using this evasion to deal with the substance and the technical issues - exactly what one might expect from a google DIY'er.

Ask me the secret question and i'll answer it, and then we can discuss grown up technical issues while quoting from authority & defining our terms - sounds fair enough?

Read the thread :rolleyes: is your attention span that limited?

Have you ever been on a site? doubt it.

we can discuss grown up technical issues

You want to discuss the finer points of construction with a slimy google diyer who works in a chip shop? :LOL: :LOL:

Your words!

I'll have a word with our local bco and tell them we in the whole of scotland are rendering bases and going against all known laws of physics in doing so.

Well according to a sarcastic pedant from California who thinks he is a universal authority on anything to do with the build environment. :LOL: :LOL:

You cannot even answer a straightforward question without spouting a load of verbal diarrhea. ;)

Evading the issue again. Triple evasions. Actually, you sound rather worked up, do take care.

Yes, i wouldn't hesitate to discuss construction with a self confessed slimy google DIY'er. No problem, lets get started. Slime for ever.

First you attack the man, now you have an issue with California? What about Mars - please God no aliens have attempted to to probe you for intelligence? You are still trying to wriggle away from answering - you little wriggler.

Attempting to emphasize sentences with little pics is often an indication of illiteracy - but, if thats what they do in the chip shop, so be it. By the way, whats the "build" (sic) environment?

Scotland is a capitalised word - just saying.

Another post! still no answer. :D another wee face from the illiterate one.

The Aliens have been at you - i knew it. I bet it must have been a rather uncomfortable business as they rooted around looking for adult brain cells.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back