Blown cooker fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had the cooker fuse blow and the fuse holder must have taken a good load because it had burnt signs on it, the back part of the fuse that goes into the fuse box also has signs of being burnt, I will change the fuse, is this red piece in the photo also replaceable?, is there anything else I need to check.

Sponsored Links
That fuse carrier is knackered and must be replaced. There might also be damage to the wiring from the heat, it may even have been a loose wire thats caused the melt down in the first place.

Given the design of CU we're looking at here, I would imagine that there'll be internal damage that's not repairable, those boards are not as "modular" as newer designs and internal parts are not easily replaced. So unless there's an unused position that the cooker circuit could be moved to, it's likely you'll either have to have the whole CU replaced or have a small one fitted alongside it just for the cooker supply.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, will look to get a sparky round to check it out, probably just change the consumer unit out.

Depending on the condition of the rest of the installation, having the whole CU replaced can sometimes open up a whole new can of worms. Ask the electrician to have a look at the rest of your installation first, to see if there are any other issues that could make a CU change difficult. If there are such issues probably cheaper and simpler to fit a second one just for the cooker, this could be one of those awkward situations where a very simple fault suddenly turns into a big job otherwise. Of course it could also all be fine and straightforward, but it's worth being aware of the worst case.

Actually, I assumed it was the cooker that had blown but I noticed the fridge was not working after I took the fuse out, now find part of the downstairs sockets do not work. I followed the wires coming down the wall to the consumer box and see the cooker wire (thicker one with an earth) going to the end 30 amp fuse, I checked my neighbours fuse box and it is actually the downstairs socket fuse that blew but the sockets never stopped working until I took the fuse out of the box which is surprising considering how it looks now. I never realised the sockets ran off 30amp, thought it was 15 amp. The box might be salvageable, see what electrician says.

Got it checked out this morning, turns out the cables to the fuse slot were black about 1/2" from end so electrician cut back to good wire and had to use the spare slot in the box, I fitted 2 new MCB into the 30amp slots, he said box is ok to re-use and to be honest it looked clean inside. Saying that, this is the last slot in the consumer box so no choice next time. The gas cooker just needed the 3amp fuse changed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back