blown light circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our lights went off last night, there was like a popping sound which sounded like it came from the halogen bulbs in the kitchen now none of the lights work in the whole house.

we have really old fuse boxes under the stairs and after the lights blew one of them had turned itself off. i checked the fuse which is a really big old fashioned thing and it appears to be intact, so i turned the fuse box back on but still no joy.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I will stress that I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN but you could try checking the fuse with a multimeter, sometimes you can't see whether the wire has broken, also if you have another fuse in the fuse box of the same rating you could try swapping them temporarily, then you'll know if the original fuse has blown, I wouldn't recomend that though if you can't see, do in when it's well lit, just so you don't put in a fuse of the wrong rating, that would be very dangerous.

BE CAREFUL

Hope this helps.

Stuart

edited to remove spelling mistakes

Are you 100% sure the fuse (presumably fusewire?) is intact? It's not at all unheard of for it to break in a location that's not immediately obvious by just looking.

Also, you say that something had turned itself off - do you have a separate RCD (it might have makings such as 30mA, 100mA, 0.03a, 0.1A on it) that protects the whole installation?

Sponsored Links
Our lights went off last night, there was like a popping sound which sounded like it came from the halogen bulbs in the kitchen now none of the lights work in the whole house.

we have really old fuse boxes under the stairs and after the lights blew one of them had turned itself off. i checked the fuse which is a really big old fashioned thing and it appears to be intact, so i turned the fuse box back on but still no joy.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

It may appear to be intact, check it with a multimeter just in case.
Have you got a multimeter and some fuse wire ?
If not you might be better leaving it to a qualified electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back