Blown Plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moving in our first house soon and no very little about DIY, but always willing to give it a bash.

Basically there's some blown plasterboard on the extension part of the house (outer wall to garden) and allegedly there's no damp, didn't look it or smell it just seems to be bubbling abit.

what I was thinking of doing was cutting out that section, there's also a bit furthur down so i'll probably end up cutting a 5" wide by 20" down section of plasterbaord.

Now the tricky bit in my opinion.

What I want is for it to be flush, so I go and buy a sheet of plasterboard and cut out the same size whole as i've just created, but how do I then get it to stay in the whole, as surely you'll just be able to push it through?

I'm guessing I need something to screw the plasterboard onto? (believe there's insulation behind) but if I do that I believe I need tape, but then it won't be flush with the other good plasterboard, it'll be slightly raised.

So it's almost as if I need ot either set back the plasterboard slightly (then use a few MM of filler) or put it in the gap, but without screwing it in (but surely you'd be able to poke it through)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it skimmed with plaster or just bare plasterboard?

If it is skimmed just cut some plywood wider than the hole and coat the edges with no nails or similar slip it in the hole twist and pull back against the back of the board.
if you drill a couple of holes and pass string through you can put some batten across the face wall and tie it in place till it sets.

Then the same thickness of plaster board will sit on the wood (more no nails on the back) and go under flush by the thickness of the plaster skim. Then skim with filler.

If it is not skimmed in theory you would use tape and filler but to get a smooth transition will not be easy, I would try a bodge, use a thinner plasterboard than the existing wall lightly tap/press the edges of the hole to give a clean slightly tapered edge then fill as before.

Just a thought if you are new to diy, the insulation (assuming its been put in over the last 40 years or so) is likely be glassfibre or rockwool both are irritant to skin and lungs.

Masks and gloves are required when working with it, certainly never use bare hands or if you do get in contact rinse off under a tap to remove any fibres.

Some people seem to get away with it, perhaps they have some rhinoceros in their genes but I only have to look at the stuff to start scratching!

If it get's in your skin it does sort it's self out after a day or so but best to avoid it if you can.

A tip if you do find an area irritated use sticky tape to try pull the fibres from the skin then wash, whatever you do don't rub or scratch it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back