New plasterboard set too far back

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive set a new piece of plasterboard onto my wall blocking an empty space where my old fire was, long story but i couldent fix the plasterboard flush to the other plasterboard without cutting a much bigger hole out the wall which id prefer not to do.

Anyway ive got a problem where by the top section of the plasterboard is set too far back at the top but nice and flush further down. Ive taped all the joints and put jointing compound in but as you can see the top section is set back about 10mm.

Is there a way i can slowly build up the plaster to bring it flush with the wall either side of the new piece of board? or have i completely ****ed it?

Really dont want to have to rip the plasterboard off and start again.

Attachments

• IMG_20210627_152942.jpg
    IMG_20210627_152942.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20210627_160458.jpg
    IMG_20210627_160458.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20210627_152947.jpg
    IMG_20210627_152947.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 137
Sponsored Links
I would of packed it out from behind and checked all was flush before continuing.

I've done that before and was able to bring it back level with subsequent layers of easyfill and sanding.

For my skill level, it'll be quicker and easier to pull it and and redo it level.

Sponsored Links
I hope theres more wood work behind it than it looks from the amount of screws that are visible.
You could dub the deeper section with bonding or at a pinch , multi out level and pva raw plaster before skimming the lot

I hope theres more wood work behind it than it looks from the amount of screws that are visible.
You could dub the deeper section with bonding or at a pinch , multi out level and pva raw plaster before skimming the lot

Attachments

• IMG_20210627_144904.jpg
    IMG_20210627_144904.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 113
Okay great.... why?
You should have some horizontal noggings and one accros the top inside the lintel, easy enough if you know what your doing. did you dot n dab over the block work? and dont know what to say about that gas pipe if live , just waiting for a nail or screw in the future

You should have some horizontal noggings and one accros the top inside the lintel, easy enough if you know what your doing. did you dot n dab over the block work? and dont know what to say about that gas pipe if live , just waiting for a nail or screw in the future
Gas pipes are always just sitting behind plasterboard so theres always a risk of a screw or nail going into it, how is this different?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back